Anyone used a Shimano Caenan reel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone used a Shimano Caenan reel?

I'm looking at adding 2-3 new rod and reels to my boat for when friends come out. I don't want peices of junk but don't want to spend a fortune. Has anyone used the Shimano Caenan in saltwater? Or do you know of another decent reel for $80 or less that holds up well (for an inexpensive reel).

Are the H20 reels at Academy junkers?

I looked at one last X-mas. Girlfriend wanted to buy it for me as a gift. The salesman at FTU talked me into a Lews for a few dollars more. Glad he did. Awesome little reel.

Comment

The H2O reels from Academy are good for the price. You just have to make sure to clean the well and they will last. I have one I use for a spare when I take people out that don't have equipment.
      sigpic
      Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

H2O Mettle from Academy then get the upgrade bearings from Fischer Angling, he is a sponsor on here.
        Today is a new day!!

Comment

the drag doesn't get worn out after one redfish?

Comment

Originally posted by Dawg View Post
            H2O Mettle from Academy then get the upgrade bearings from Fischer Angling, he is a sponsor on here.
            This, absolutely. And no, the drag is actually pretty solid in that little reel. I'm running boca abec-7's in 3 Mettles and they'll outcast any factory Curado I've owned. That being said, I'm now running the boca's in my Curados, too. Chris Fischer also has the carbon drag washers for the Mettle, but I haven't tried that out yet....haven't needed to.

Comment

I have 5 Caenans and like them no problems yet.
              We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning toward the Caenans since I like Shimano's reels but I'll check out the H2Os too

Comment

No Caenan! If ur gonna go cheap definitely H20 my buddy down the street has one he tried to sell me and said it was only a yeah old drag washer wash in pieces and half the coating was off of it. I would get the mettle or the menace . But thats just me.

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                    I have 5 Caenans and like them no problems yet.
                    Just saw this well maybe my buddy just beat the hell outta it lmao

Comment

For the money the Mettle is a good all around reel. I've used them and upgraded them and they've surprised a lot of people. You really can't beat $50 or $29 when on sale. Add that to the loose Academy return policy and you'll have a reel for 20 years, even if it wasn't the original one you bought!

Comment

I have three caenans and love them, I actually use my curados as back ups, that's how much I like them. I really like the Garcia revo as well!!

Comment

Originally posted by FischerAngling View Post
                          For the money the Mettle is a good all around reel. I've used them and upgraded them and they've surprised a lot of people. You really can't beat $50 or $29 when on sale. Add that to the loose Academy return policy and you'll have a reel for 20 years, even if it wasn't the original one you bought!
                          Thanks for the info!

Comment

I was wrong i was at my buddys last night for a bit it was not the Caenan it was the orange one i think Calius or something like that lol sorry!

Comment

Working...
                            X