Dolphins in West Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dolphins in West Bay

Did anyone else notice the pod of dolphins working the south shoreline near the Galveston Island State Park this morning? First time I ever saw dolphin doing this near GISP and hopefully the last time.

They were definitely feeding on trout because they would be cruising up and down like they normally do, then turn and head directly into the slicks and start rounding up the fish. I could see some big trout darting and jumping across the water. The water depth couldn't have been more than 3 feet with the low tide this morning.

Somehow I still managed to catch 5 nice trout and a limit of flounder after the pod left the area. I'm pretty sure those dolphin potlicked the other 5 trout that I was targeting.

I have seen the all over west. They will go where the food is!
    sigpic
    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Originally posted by imhammer View Post
      I have seen the all over west. They will go where the food is!
      Use them to find fish
      Karma's a beach.

Comment

You know they live in the water and you probably were potlicking them if you get there side of the story! You say they took your other 5 trout.I say they shared 5 trout with you!
        West Bay Sensai...

Comment

them boogers will push the trout right to ya sometimes
          MANVEL MOB

Comment

It's their bay. We just visit. Seriously, you can't be upset with dolphin. They're doing what they do, and more power to them.
            From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Originally posted by Galveston340
              ....to see something like that would be a "must see" moment on this end. Reminds me of what "Smooth Move" told me about as we were motoring in from an afternoon Jetty excursion.
              He was able to watch a couple of "Flippers" working some fish up on a bank by a bridge. They would get them rounded up and push them up towards the shallows.

Turns out he saw that there was a juvenile there that they were teaching how to catch fish.

....I ever see something like that I will sit back and be thankful that I was able to witness something so fine.....that most folks only read about or see described on some show on the 'Tube.

Consider yourself fortunate to have witnessed such a part of nature.......

AMEN to that brother.
              Being able to see nature at her finest is just a sit, take it in, and be thankful thing
              Finfisher

Comment

A mother dolphin was working her baby around the cleaning station on ICW under the Surfside bridge Sunday morning. Poppy and I enjoyed them for a couple minutes and went on our way. Baby dolphin fishing was brought up several times that day since we did not catch much. The baby was no bigger that 3' but was busting the water all over.

Comment

Originally posted by Hesser View Post
                  The baby was no bigger that 3' but was busting the water all over.
                  Would have loved to see that!

Comment

The Bay has really made a tremendous come back,from when I was kid! what now is commonplace used to be a rare site,my father always felt they where the end of his fishing in the spot he saw them and up anchor and move us to a new spot. he didnt have anything against them though. Later they got kinda rare to see mostly jetties and channel! As my 26 yr old son sat with me today, near Moses Lake. We had the pleasure of being entertained for a couple hours, by a couple familys training the youngsters on how to bust the bait,They never interferred with our fishing, and heightened our day seeing them! Thats priceless!!!
                    West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Originally posted by dbarham View Post
                      them boogers will push the trout right to ya sometimes
                      x2 Try to stay in front of the dolphins direction path!

Comment

Only got back into saltwater fishing in the last 2 months. In that time, Vicki and I saw dolphins in Bastrop Bayou near the Clay Banks, and I saw them again just south of the 2004 bridge at Chocolate. Both times, they were just cruising the channel. Would love to see them busting the baitfish.

Comment

Dolphin in my favorite West Bay Cove.

Had one come up to my yak last weekend. I really did not care, just enjoyed the moment of eco in the bay. What a great day!

Comment

Working...
                          X