2 kids hooked on fishing by Uncle Sandy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 kids hooked on fishing by Uncle Sandy

I've had a rough summer so far. 2 sinus infections, inner ear infection/vertigo, and my mom was in the hospital for a while too. But all that is behind me now. Today I finally got dad's boat, the "TexaCajun" out for a shakedown cruise and I brought my 7 year old niece and nephew out with me.

We launched in the protected harbor here in Pass Christian, but when we tried to leave the harbor, I thought better of it. If I had been alone, I would have made it past the rolling swells, and run back to the marsh through Bay St. Louis. With the kids in the boat, I wasn't having any of that. So I found a less traveled area in the harbor and tied up to a piling. I just knew we wouldn't catch anything. Last summer I got them on a million hardheads and they had a blast, but this summer they wanted to catch some "REAL FISH"! Spider Man and Barbie poles rigged, we began the assault.

I hooked 3 croakers in a row and they reeled them in, very excited to have caught a REAL fish, not a hardhead. I probably could have hooked 30 croakers for them, but I spent most of my time untangling their lines. I simply could not believe what these 2 kids could do to a fishing rig. At one point, I was working on a spiderman tangle, with a barbie tangle waiting, so I gave my nephew Blake my rod and showed him how to use a grown up reel. He made a great cast to a spot we hadn't tried yet and BAM! 20 inch white trout! He hooked it, reeled it in, AND landed it himself! His first real fish from beginning to end. Talk about one excited 7 year old. It was only then that I realized I had left the camera in the truck! EGAD! I'm still really bummed about this.

I got everything untangled and we all threw to the spot where Blake caught the white trout. I hooked up right away and CeCe broke her barbie pole running over to reel it in. (So darnit, guess who's buying her a new one?) She reeled it in and landed it herself. Smiles from ear to ear. "REAL fish!" they kept saying. The tangles got fewer and fewer, especially with the barbie pole out of commission. Both kids got proficient at baiting their own hooks and casting. They had trouble feeling the bites, but got a little better towards the end. In the end we boated about 20 white trout, a ladyfish (MASSIVE EXCITEMENT!), and 10 croakers.

When the bait ran out, they didn't want to leave. I was done in, but I told myself it's all for the kids, plus we were still in the harbor and only about 100 yards from the ramp. So they decided on a casting contest. I let them do that until they got tired and we headed in. A great day, that didn't look so great to start. I love these kids, and I hope they always remember their first REAL fish.

In case you are wondering: A white trout is just like a spec, but without the dots. They are not sand trout. I think Texans call them Gulf Trout.
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Sounds like thing's started out a little rough for you Sandy but glad to hear everything has turned in the right direction. Looking forward to seeing you at BR's when you get back. I'm leaving for South Padre on the 12th for about 10 days so I want get out to BR's till late in August. Enjoy the rest of your vacation.
    A Little deeper in debt.

Comment

A day they won't forget, Uncle Sandy!
      Walker

Anegada, BVI (N18° 44.683' W64° 24.133')
      and
      Houston (Clear Lake City)

Comment

Good Job Uncle Sandy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats uncle Sandy !
          10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Good on you ,sandy, taking them on first fishing trip! Hopefully they'll be hooked for life now!

Comment

Cool Sandy-WTG!!
              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Good job unc
                MANVEL MOB

Comment

Good job sir.
                  KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Awesome wtg

Comment

Originally posted by Galveston340
                      ......very nice "Uncle Sandy"! Hope you had time to shoot a couple of pics!!
                      x2 The kids will probably like to remember this trip!

Comment

Way to go Sandy! I wouldn't have expected any less from a man of your caliber. Way to put them on the Real fish!
                        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Barbie Breaker!
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
                          Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

LOL! I worked on that Barbie pole for an hour last night. It's done for.

Galveston340, did you read the post? I left the camera in the truck!

On another note, I am truly home tonight. I'm spending the night in Grand Bayou, just 10 minutes from Bayou Cook. Took a couple of greenhorns for 45 minutes tonight. I was a little disappointed. 1 6lb. sheepie, 1 5lb drum, and a 18 inch red (legal here in La. thank you.) I'm so glad I got Dad out here today. Tomorrow morning we'll be fishin' Bayou Cook together.
                            From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Sweet...now pack the camera this time!
                              Don't be a Nancy!
                              If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Working...
                              X