Fishing Report 8/1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing Report 8/1

It was an interesting night morning. A buddy and I got to the island about 1:00 AM. We thought the winds were supposed to be NE, we were wrong. They were almost dead west. We fished a rock groin at the surf close to that Pleasure Pier thing. We stayed there for about 45 minutes. Nothing. Not even bump. No worries, we headed over to a spot we like close to the sewage treatment plant. Well we caught a lot of fish.

5 skip jacks to about 22"
    5 blue crabs (all eating size)
    1 rat red
    2 sandies (keeper size)
    1 gulf trout (smallish)
    1 dink speck
    4 hardhead

I think that's it. Big bunch of junk. This was all caught between 2:30 and 5:00. My buddy was throwing live shrimp (hardheads and skipjacks) under a popping cork. I threw a DOA shrimp with chartreuse tail (nothing), 2" new penny Gulp shrimp (most caught with that), and a 4" glow Gulp shrimp (red and speck). Both Gulps were on a 1/8 ounce white jig head. It was a fun trip if nothing else. Drove 3 hours round trip to fish for 4 hours. Came home with nothing, but at least we caught fish. No pics because...come on, who would photograph that junk.
    What Would Hans Wagemueller Do?

Sounds like makings for some gumbo

Comment

better than a sharp stick n tha eye.

ummmmm...... hardhead gumbo. heck yeah...... lol... i remeber as a kid my dad droppin off bull mullet off to an unckle of mine... hard head or mullet. which would u choose. lol
      if i dnt catch dinner, i will catch a buzz. it works out!

Comment

thanks 4 the report
        the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Originally posted by walkinwader View Post
          Sounds like makings for some gumbo
          Honestly, the whole reason we went is that I wanted some flounder and spec filets for some recipes that I've seen on this website. I honestly don't keep anything that I don't plan on eating. If you had told me that all I would catch would be this, I would have kept some of it for a gumbo or jambalaya. Meh, thems the hands your dealt.
          What Would Hans Wagemueller Do?

Comment

Used to eat mullet over in Florida and it was great! The secret is catching medium sized ones in clean water, closer to the Gulf the better. Mullet from the back bays were called "mud mullet" and they tasted like pooh. Similar to catching carp with bread-like baits, and mullet are very strong fighters.

Ever had mullet roe? Not bad first poached and then fried. The female roe is yellow. Don't eat the white ones - that's gay!

Comment

Its happenin at the sewer plant,just not when you guys were there! at least you fished!!
              West Bay Sensai...

Comment

at least you were catching
                "Our most great and glorious achievement is to live our life fishingly"

Comment

Clark08 or GHSmaker ( cant remember which one) posted up and has a killer recipe for hard head and mullet gumbo...

shoot them a p.m.

Comment

JT... Y'all may give away fishing spots and recipes but I don't..I surely don't want to post up my recipe and then get bashed for giving out the best dish ever like these latest snake island killers have done... I only stoke fires... I don't start them...
                    Don't follow my boat......I don't catch fish......

Comment

I always thought a hardhead was a different name for a painful ****? I thought a mullet was a trendy haircut of the 80's?

Shows how much i know.
                      "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

Working...
                      X