468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saying goodbye to an old friend: Charlene 1989-2012.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saying goodbye to an old friend: Charlene 1989-2012.

Some of y'all might remember my old car, my '54 Chevy Bel Air named Charlene. Well, since Ike I haven't touched her, and it's been a black mark on my soul. Week after week, month after month, I worked on the camp, and she sat there.

A couple weeks ago I was sittin' by the pool at a hotel in Biloxi and I got a call from a neighbor that a young kid had knocked on his door inquiring about her. He had given him my number. I shut my phone down for some serious Uncle Sandy time with my 7 year old niece and nephew. Well, this fool kid (Just like me when I was 16 and wanted the car, pestering the owner) called me 8 times and left 8 messages before I turned my phone on the next day. LOL. This kid had fallen in love. He promised to put her right and KEEP HER ORIGINAL! No hot rod, chop top, low rider crap. No flames, no hydraulics. So I told him I'd sell her to him for exactly what I bought her for at the age of 16. When I gave him the figure, he said, "That's all?" I was about to up the price, but he was so genuine in his desire for her, that I stuck to the number. All I've ever wanted was to have her just as she was when I finished working on her when I was 17. Oh the memories I had in that car from high school . . . . . . . and college . . . . . . I just hate to let her go. But it's time for someone else to have those memories. The kid even offered for me to have her for a day when he gets finished restoring her.

So in just a few days, Charlene will go to another. She was with her original owner from 1954-1989. She was mine from 1989-2012, and she was my daily driver until 2000. That's 58 years old, and she's still a babe, just ready for a facelift.

I got a call from my neighbor yesterday. The kid had already gone over and put a brand new car cover over her. LOL. I can't wait to meet this kid. I know I'm gonna cry when she goes down the street. No teenager could have ever wished for such a fantastic, loyal, dependable, chick magnet car. I'll miss you until the day I die Charlene.
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

He is gonna drop it have woofers and a speaker under the hood! Naw I hope not
    MANVEL MOB

Comment

Sounds like he'll treat her right.
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Damn I need his number, sounds like he's a good sales man!
        Bryan Evans

Boat Werx of Texas
        (AKA Evans Marine Services)
        4340 19th St.
        Bacliff, Texas 77518
        http://evansmarine.net
        http://boatwerxtx.com
        main@boatwerxtx.com
        281-559-BOAT (2628)

Comment

Oh, sorry for your loss Sandy!
          Bryan Evans

Boat Werx of Texas
          4340 19th St.
          Bacliff, Texas 77518
          main@boatwerxtx.com
          281-559-BOAT (2628)

Comment

Rat rods are a big deal with kids right now

Comment

There are times when we have to part with things we admire, Coach. And it's not always about the almighty dollar. I like the way you described the kid, sounds responsible. Good deeds have a way of coming back around.

Comment

i know what you going through i got rid of my camaro that my father had helped me by when i was 16 and sold it when i was 22 when i found out i was gonna be a daddy. but it was worth it now i have bought another car that i plan on passing it on to my boy. anD NOW I NEED TO FIND ANOTHER CAR FOR MY BABY BOY. THE TWO THINGS MY BOY LOVES IS FISHING AND CLASSIC CARS. HIS DREAM CAR IS A GTO.LOL I BET THAT KID THAT BOUGHT YOUR CAR WILL HAVE THE FEELINGS FOR IT AS YOU DO. PASS IT ON.
                sigpicBiggiest trout ive caught (baffin bay)

Comment

Originally posted by Galveston340
                  ....brings a tear to my eye Sandy....that you let her go. Sure hope you keep in touch with the new owner so that he doesn't desecrate her with some of that "Mile-0-Mo" rap heavy base crap and damage the window seals and get her to rattling.....

Why didn't you offer her up for sale here amongst friends I have to ask??>?
                  I offered her up here twice. Once before Ike, and once in 2010.
                  From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Originally posted by coachlaw View Post
                    I offered her up here twice. Once before Ike, and once in 2010.
                    We figured it was full of Nutria guts and old, dead shrimps.
                    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

What a sacrifice! We can get so attached to the things that make us happy and bring us true joy. It sounds like you have many great memories with this car. Those are yours to keep. It's new owner sounds like a fine young man who will treat her right.

Kleenex please
                      "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

Damn Sandy that was a sweet little Chebby. I hope the new owner treats her right. It didn't look like it would've taken more then a busy weekend to get her prowling again. I feel your pain though I have an old car in my barn that I've moved several times. I always tell myself that one of these days I'll get to fix it up right. Sadly the chances are that I'll never have the right combination of time and money and it'll just sit until the earth reclaims it. I'd give it to someone if I knew they'd fix it up properly and enjoy it. Fortunately the weeds are grown up pretty tall in front of the barn so I don't have to look at it and be reminded very often.
                        When I grow up I want to be, One of the harvesters of the sea. I think before my days are done, I want to be a fisherman.

Comment

Originally posted by Overkiller View Post
                          Damn Sandy that was a sweet little Chebby. I hope the new owner treats her right. It didn't look like it would've taken more then a busy weekend to get her prowling again. I feel your pain though I have an old car in my barn that I've moved several times. I always tell myself that one of these days I'll get to fix it up right. Sadly the chances are that I'll never have the right combination of time and money and it'll just sit until the earth reclaims it. I'd give it to someone if I knew they'd fix it up properly and enjoy it. Fortunately the weeds are grown up pretty tall in front of the barn so I don't have to look at it and be reminded very often.
                          What is it? I might be intrested. I use to be a restoration nut, and looking for a project.
                          Bryan Evans

Boat Werx of Texas
                          4340 19th St.
                          Bacliff, Texas 77518
                          main@boatwerxtx.com
                          281-559-BOAT (2628)

Comment

Originally posted by evansmarine View Post
                            What is it? I might be intrested. I use to be a restoration nut, and looking for a project.
                            '64 Volvo Amazon wagon. Used to be my driver when it was too rainy or cold to ride my motorcycle. Reliable to a fault, got awesome MPG, looks cool as hell in my opinion. Kinda like a 7/8 scale shoebox Ford. Been sitting a while, needed floors, rockers, and wheel arches and a windshield. Not a car for everyone, but then again you probably didn't think it was a tri5, or a 67 fastback stang. If you did you're likely disappointed.
                            When I grow up I want to be, One of the harvesters of the sea. I think before my days are done, I want to be a fisherman.

Comment

"Volvo, they're boxy, but GOOD!" LOL! Anyone else remember that movie?

Comment

Working...
                              X