No announcement yet.

Barbque pit question(for the gurus)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dunno, the best brisket and pig I've ever had came off a custom job built by a pipeline welder, and she was a biggun about 4 foot around and about 8 foot long. All terrain ties on the back, 4 inch square tubing to the trailer hitch. No firebox - you just used the middle and front of the pit for cooking. Not much else to it besides a chimbley and a damper by where the wood and charcoal goes, very simple. The old boy, a biker, wouldn't let nobody touch his rig, not even Gilbert.

Comment

Originally posted by FlatoutFishin View Post
      Propane is a three-carbon alkane with the molecular formula C3H8, normally a gas, but compressible to a transportable liquid. A by-product of natural gas processing and petroleum refining, it is commonly used as a fuel for engines, oxy-gas torches, barbecues, portable stoves, and residential central heating. Propane is one of a group of liquefied petroleum gases. The others include butane, propylene, butadiene, butylene, isobutylene and mixtures thereof.

Propane containing too much propene (also called propylene) is not suited for most vehicle fuels. HD-5 is a specification which establishes a maximum concentration of 5% propene in propane. Propane and other LP gas specifications are established in ASTM D-1835.[3] All propane fuels include an odorant, almost always ethanethiol, so that people can easily smell the gas in case of a leak. Propane as HD-5 was originally intended for use as vehicle fuel. HD-5 is currently being used in all propane applications.
      Nice! A chemistry major as well as a pretty decent angler. Chester was impressed.

Comment

I was given a weber smoker for fathers-day, and that thing is amazing!

It's verticle- has two racks - and can does 12-14 lb brisket like the high dollar ones

It's easy to use... get your fire right ... and walk away

check it out - they run about $300 on Amazon
        FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Thanks guys..I will check them. Like I said, still want the real deal, but for now the gas seems like a good solution for me. Throw it on the trailer, hit the beach, put out some lights...and crank it up! Plus, majority of the time..I'm looking at 4-8 people max that would be eating.

Muddskipper...that a gas model you got?

Harvey...tell Chester I said Hi and wikipedia is my friend! LoL
          Don't be a Nancy!
          If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

UDS : Upright Drum Smoker or better known as Ugly Drum Smoker.

Goggle is your friend.
            "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Texfish View Post
              UDS : Upright Drum Smoker or better known as Ugly Drum Smoker.

Goggle is your friend.
              It may be heresy, but I use an electric Old Smokey (made here in Houston) for practicality. Works great, set it and forget it (except at certain milestones). I also use a wireless tempurature gauge to check on it, while doing other things.

I have developed a reputation among the neighbors, for my smoked whole turkey.

Old Smokey Products Company sells charcoal grills, electric smokers and grilling accessories.
              At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

After Hurricane Alicia...I lived off of an Old Smokey, best charcoal grill around in my personal opinion.
                Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

Originally posted by lurefisher View Post
                  Propane that bastord gas realy fof ?
                  Correct!!
                  West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Originally posted by lurefisher View Post
                    Propane that bastord gas realy fof ?
                    Wut
                    MANVEL MOB

Comment

propane > ng

Comment

mo betta

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marx
                          Wish I had it here at the house . I'm all legtric .
                          Maybe yes. maybe no...just because it propane has a higher BTU value than NG doesn't necessarily make it more cost effective or cheaper to burn.
                          Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

Propane is a three-carbon alkane with the molecular formula C3H8, normally a gas, but compressible to a transportable liquid. A by-product of natural gas processing and petroleum refining, it is commonly used as a fuel for engines, oxy-gas torches, barbecues, portable stoves, and residential central heating. Propane is one of a group of liquefied petroleum gases. The others include butane, propylene, butadiene, butylene, isobutylene and mixtures thereof.

Propane containing too much propene (also called propylene) is not suited for most vehicle fuels. HD-5 is a specification which establishes a maximum concentration of 5% propene in propane. Propane and other LP gas specifications are established in ASTM D-1835.[3] All propane fuels include an odorant, almost always ethanethiol, so that people can easily smell the gas in case of a leak. Propane as HD-5 was originally intended for use as vehicle fuel. HD-5 is currently being used in all propane applications.
                            It's still the basturd gass!!!!! Boomhour !
                            10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

I have a gas grill for baked potatoes, the over heats the house up. I use my upright gas smoker for briskets, ribs, turkey, and chicken. These gas smokers are great, I use citris flavored/orange juice in lieu of water on birds with apple or cherry wood for smoke. You almost can't burn it, yes I found out the hard way on the almost. Set it the night before, make sure the temp is steady and go sleep it off.
                              I have a normal BBQ pit for cooking on.

Comment

Muddskipper...that a gas model you got?

nope ... charcoal ... and wood
                                FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Working...
                                X