Heroes on the Water, Southeast Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heroes on the Water, Southeast Texas

Heroes on the Water (HOW - www.heroesonthewater.org) is a non-profit organization that provides basic kayak fishing instruction, angling clinics, and paddling instruction for military and law enforcement personnel that have been wounded, injured or disabled. It started at the Brooks Army Medical Center in San Antonio and has spread globally. There is a relatively new chapter here in Houston/Souteast Texas. If you are on the facebook, you can find them here - http://www.facebook.com/#!/SETXHeroesOntheWater.

Dustin with the Lone Star Kayak Series provided five veterans and two HOW volunteers free entry into last weekend's LSKS fishing tournament. I was lucky enough to be one of the volunteers and got to tag along as we fished the back lakes in the Pierce Marsh.

To say I was humbled by the experience would be an understatement. All four of the vets (the fifth was the spouse of one of the guys) have some real challenges ranging from limited use of both legs to missing one or both legs. They hit the water like pros and had a big day. All of them caught fish but most of them were rats, one placed 20th in the tournament with a nice slot redfish. I got skunked as usual. Sitting around at Louis' after the day of fishing, I heard some incredible stories and had some good laughs with the vets. What a great bunch of folks.

Here's a photo of one of our Heroes, a retired SSGT US Army with his tourney fish.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Travis Redfish.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	572600

So why do I tell you all this? HOW is a great organization for veterans. Since we don't have a military medical center in Houston/Galveston, one of the challenges seems to be getting the word out to veterans that HOW exists and makes available 'adaptive' kayaks, kayak fishing classes, etc. to veterans trying to get reengaged with their new abilities. If you know a vet that could benefit from HOW, please send me a PM and I will put them in touch with the local chapter leader. Next time I know an outing gets scheduled, I will make sure to let you all know because I know how strongly many of you feel about supporting vets and will want to help out.

Take a minute and read through the HOW website if you are unfamiliar with the organization. Some amazing success stories.

Thanks guys for taking the time to read a long post.
    JYC
    "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Awesome read... I will check into the website.
    KEEP IT WET..

Comment

That's top notch citizenship and patriotism on your behalf, Sir. Good on you!

Comment

Outstanding. Would you get in contact with Fisher House here in Houston? That would be a fantastic way to get in touch with many wounded hero's...
        sigpic

Comment

Great read and site! !

Comment

WAY to go help them out !!!!!!
            10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Originally posted by Baby Tran Cat View Post
              Would you get in contact with Fisher House here in Houston?
              Thanks for the recommendation. Good idea. We plan to reach out to the VFW, various veteran support groups, etc. In order to make people aware that HOW is a resource.

We are hoping to get started with word of mouth. Again, if you know of a someone that might be interested in HOW, please shoot me a PM or tell them to contact me.

JYC

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
              "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Working...
              X