Spotted Seatrout Creel and Gill Net Data from TPWD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotted Seatrout Creel and Gill Net Data from TPWD

FISHINFREAK asked a question in the "Big or Small" thread about the decline in large (25" or greater) speckled trout. I thought I had some TPWD research on the subject but all I had was the information I posted sometime back on "Catch and Release Mortality of Speckled Trout" .

I sent an e/mail to TPWD last week and asked for data on the state of the Texas speckled trout population. Here is some of the data I got in reply. I apologize in advance for the long post. There is some good data here though that I think is worth a read.

Coastwide Landings of Speckled Trout: This slide shows landings from private recreational anglers (orange line) and guide trips (blue line) since 1984. The combined total in 2011 was the 2nd highest on record. The data is from the TPWD Creel Surveys.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide 1 Coastwide Landings Spotted Seatrout.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	572646

This is a graph of the size distribution of the fish surveyed in 2011. The majority of the fish are in the 15" to 17" size range though there are survey results at 30+".

Name:	Slide 2 2011 Coastwide Spotted Seatrout Length-Frequency.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	572647

This graph shows the percentage of 25" or greater trout caught as a percentage of total landings (the total landings are shown in graph 1). Note the drop off in large trout landings starting in 2008/9

Name:	Slide 3 Percent Landings of 25 inch Spotted Seatrout.jpg
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	572648

According to TPWD, 25" trout are typically 4 years old or older. The drop off in large trout we are seeing currently correlates to a drop off in the gill net survey data from 2008ish - see graph below.

Name:	Slide 5 Coastwide Gill Nets Spotted Seatrout.jpg
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	572649

The dropoff in numbers in 2008,9 and 10 was registered throughout the mid coast and represent both wet and dry years. There is no consensus on what caused the dip. The good news is that the numbers are on the way back up.

It takes 2 years for a female trout to reach 15". Coming out of the 2008-2010 slump, anglers are currently seeing high numbers of throw backs and barely keepers. Anglers should start to see a 'normal' distribution of large trout on stringers in the winter of 2013/14, the dip plus 4 years (that last sentence is my editorial, not a position from TPWD).

Looking at the overall number of landings (the 2011 totals were the 2nd highest on record), I will stick with the advice given to me by my grandad - 'keep what you can eat, throw the rest back for tomorrow'

JYC - amateur fisheries guy
    "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Thanks for all that information. Good stuff.

Comment

Thanks for the info. If you see the fish that come in at the weigh ins at the Spectacular trout tournaments it's hard to argue and say that the big trout numbers are down when guys are consistently bringing in 18+ lb stringers

Comment

What's the difference between private and party?
        From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Private represents anglers. Party is anglers with guides. As I understand it, you add them together to get the total fish landed as approximated by the creel surveys.

Comment

Who needs a speckled trout anyways? A buddy and I went out in his new boat, he just had to catch some fish, wind was blowing 50 outta the south, so we parked it by the concrete ship, casted out some dead and came back with about 25 1-1.5# sand trouts... talk a bout some fine eating..

Comment

Interesting.. Thanks!

Comment

meh i think they should close the water for about a year.

BRB gonna get some popcorn.
                75% Saltwater 5% led 20 % soft plastic 99% Alcohol 500% Fish stories = the make up of an angler.

Comment

Interesting info, thanks!

But, what is the sample size/ population of fishermen? If there's more folk out there fishing (potlickers included), can you deduce that there is a decline in the available fish population to be caught?

My thesis is that there are more fishermen out there, and it's growing, due to the baby boom and the increasing population of folk with leisure time (for a variety of reasons). This'll put more pressure on the fish population.
                  At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Oleander Kayaker View Post
                    But, what is the sample size/ population of fishermen? If there's more folk out there fishing (potlickers included), can you deduce that there is a decline in the available fish population to be caught?
                    I think the way that works is that they survey anglers catch at docks and cleaning tables up and down the coast and then extrapolate that data to approximate the total number of fish landed. I don't know if they use license data or some other mechanism to approximate the total number of anglers.

Originally posted by Oleander Kayaker View Post
                    My thesis is that there are more fishermen out there, and it's growing, due to the baby boom and the increasing population of folk with leisure time (for a variety of reasons). This'll put more pressure on the fish population.
                    If you look at the total landings in the first graph, there is no question that there are more fish being harvested. TPWD did not pursue changing bag limits at their commission meeting last year because the juvenile fish population has been so strong the last couple of years. If the landings continue to rise and the gill net surveys show any weakness, it would not surprise me if TPWD proposes a 5 fish limit statewide.

Comment

Interesting info. Thanks for posting.
                      I COME FROM THE WATER!!!

Comment

Thanks JYC. Great info! (Yes, I am a nerd.)
                        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Thanks good to know!
                          West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Working...
                          X