Marine battery question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marine battery question

I have a Shoalwater 18 foot flats boat and I'm looking to see what type of batteries I can find for it that are 1) small as there isn't a lot of space in the rear hatches and 2) deep cycle. I have a 24 volt Minn Kota trolling motor, radio/stereo(no amp), GPS/FF combo, then engine cranking(90 HP Yami), trim and jack-plate.

Do they make any small-ish 12v marine batteries? I'd like to shoe-horn two batteries into same area that would hold 1 and a half of the normal deep cycles.

It's either that or I'll have to reconfigure all the batteries to the bow of the boat which might work too. Anyone done that before? Is there an issue having your cranking battery in the bow rather than in the rear(wiring??)?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Chris

Call Golden Eagle battery in Alvin and ask to talk to the owner. He not only has the best prices anywhere -- he can point you in the direction that you're looking for.

20000 Texas 6 Alvin, TX 77511
    (281) 331-9400
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Call Evans.

I did get my marine batteris from Golden Eagle (for trolling motor) brand new 120.00 total. Good batteries and a good price.
      KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Optima batteries are smallish and can be mounted at any angle. They are a little costly, but so is fishing/boating.
        "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

Originally posted by FishNette View Post
          Optima batteries are smallish and can be mounted at any angle. They are a little costly, but so is fishing/boating.
          The Optima's are definitely an option as mounting them at any angle works when there are these tight spaces. They are pricey. Do the Optimas last longer than a traditional flush mount?

Comment

Originally posted by FischerAngling View Post
            The Optima's are definitely an option as mounting them at any angle works when there are these tight spaces. They are pricey. Do the Optimas last longer than a traditional flush mount?
            I don't know if they last longer, but they have a free replacement warranty as long as you have your receipt. I've had one in my Jeep for 3 years with no problems.
            "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

Re: Marine battery question

Walmart marine batteries are pretty small and I've had two for about two years and no problems with them

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk 2
              I dont always drink beer, but when i do , I prefer to be fishing !!!!!

Comment

Optima batteries are gel cells-they can take a pounding and are about the best you can buy. Second are Glass mat batteries. Both those will far outlast a lead/acid battery. You could try going for a smaller size acid battery and likely find two that will fit, but I'd run trolling motor off front /forward compartment batteries and use the rear for starting and electronics (radio and gps are not big drains unless you play at max volume all day). The cables will be as expensive as 1 optima also unless wired to front already (trolling motor that is) and they usually are with the trolling motor plug forward on the boat, so shouldn't need new leadas for trolling motor.
                "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
                  Call Golden Eagle battery in Alvin and ask to talk to the owner. He not only has the best prices anywhere -- he can point you in the direction that you're looking for.

20000 Texas 6 Alvin, TX 77511
                  (281) 331-9400
                  X2 Go with them,they are the battery guy's!
                  West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Golden Ealge also sells gel batteries. Don't knw if you can mount in any position, but they are gel and not liquid acid batteries..

Comment

You should be able to mount the Optima Sideways and get the room you need Chris.
                      Bryan Evans

Boat Werx of Texas
                      (AKA Evans Marine Services)
                      4340 19th St.
                      Bacliff, Texas 77518
                      http://evansmarine.net
                      http://boatwerxtx.com
                      main@boatwerxtx.com
                      281-559-BOAT (2628)

Comment

Working...
                      X