468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking to buy a new/used baot ... any tips!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking to buy a new/used baot ... any tips!?

Man I am ready to get a boat. I couldn’t think of a better group of gentleman to throw some FAQ's !

I’m looking for a bay boat - Center Console ... with a few trimmings hopefully! 18,19,20, 21 ft ---
    any recommendations or input will be awesome, and many thanks!

Done Deal,

FPIII
    FPIII

Salt Water Fishn Is My Heritage

Where do you want to run your boat. flats on or flats and the jettys? How many people you wanting to haul?

I just got an illusion (Majek) and love it, but each his own.
    KEEP IT WET..

Comment

yea man flats and the jetties,mostly and mainly bay and an ocasional trip to the jetties or first set of rigs ---- 3 people fishing max 4 people max to ride (2 majority of trips)
      FPIII

Comment

I'd first figure out what type of fishing I'd mainly be doing. Then once you know that you can figure out the type of boat you want. Offshore, in-shore, skinny water, etc...

Unless you're a mechanic who works on outboards or it's a brand new engine you must get the engine checked out before buying. On a used boat the engine is typically the main thing you're buying the a boat. Take it to Evans Marine and have Bryan check it out. Don't fall in love with it before having this done or you will be paying much in the end. I've replaced one motor because I was stupid and didn't do this prior to buying my boat.

And like with cars, there are a lot of them out there so if one isn't in great shape then there will always be others.

Good luck with your search as it can be exciting and fun!

Comment

I will throw on my .02, three things i couldn't live with out on a boat
          1. hydraulic jack plate
          2. trolling motor
          3. gps/depth finder
          If you want to do a little of everything, i would look fro something with a semi v hull.

Comment

Karma's a beach.

Comment

Yea i like it. Looks clean
              Karma's a beach.

Comment

Jetty and 1st set of rigs I would cross out a flats boat. Go with a 21 to 22' v hull. Something like a pathfinder will be more versitile. A v hull will be just fine on the Galveston flats as well.

AQUA PIMP
                AQUA PIMP......
                "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Originally posted by aqua pimp View Post
                  Jetty and 1st set of rigs I would cross out a flats boat. Go with a 21 to 22' v hull. Something like a pathfinder will be more versitile. A v hull will be just fine on the Galveston flats as well.

AQUA PIMP
                  From THE MAN that ran a 23' Kenner all over Galveston Bay quite sucessfully!!!
                  "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Well, that one went fast. I called the guy, set up to go see the boat today after I got off work. He said another guy was stopping by earlier, but to come on and see it. On the way there, the seller called me and said the first guy paid cash on the spot for it. Dang, was most likely gonna buy it if there wasn't any obvious defects.

Comment

[QUOTE=Bayoucat;229614] Hi Man i buy and sell used all of the time i went throu 13 last year. When you decide what you are looking for i will be glad to meet with you and check it out so you do not get burned just hit me up with a PM .[/QUOTE

That sounds good Sir!
                      FPIII

Comment

Great offer from Bayoucat! Green to him.

Whatever you do, don't ever buy a boat without taking a ride in it first. I'm 5 feet from a buddy who's still dealing with the folly of his decision to eschew that advice.
                        From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Originally posted by coachlaw View Post
                          Great offer from Bayoucat! Green to him.

Whatever you do, don't ever buy a boat without taking a ride in it first. I'm 5 feet from a buddy who's still dealing with the folly of his decision to eschew that advice.
                          is eschew like an asschewin?
                          MANVEL MOB

Comment

I'm looking to buy a new/used baot ... any tips!?

The pimp is right... Pathfinder, blue wave will do what you need. AP ran a Kenner for years and if you know where your going in the bays a hard V hull is what you want for trips to the jetties, rough Galveston chop or small trips offshore. I started with a 22ft blue wave and couldn't imagine anything smaller with waters I have crossed. I don't like running shorelines tight so it does what I need it to. Got the money?... Majek would be my pick.
                            Don't follow my boat......I don't catch fish......

Comment

It's a buyer's market and there are hundreds of boats out thar. Several of my charter buddies have the Carolina Skiff, a flat-bottom boat with lots of freeboard to handle 2-3 foot seas if needs bee offshore. There is a dealer up in Corpus Christi who does a big business in them.

Being down by the Rio Valley, I am also partial to Shallow Sport boats, which are mainly scooters - you can fish in less than 12 inches of water. Believe it or not, we take them offshore when it's flat, mainly mackerel & tarpon fishing around the jetties.

For best construction, that would be the Hydra Sports. Very rugged, a heavy boat with a stern build like a brick house. They do make a 23' bay boat and a 26' offshore with the vee bottom ... the next is a little company out of Florida called Albury. My dad's an engineer so he looks at stuff like the "sandwich construction" and whether it has material that would rot and delaminate.

You prolly haven't heard of these but they are some of the cream of the crop. Tell the truth, I'd be happy in an old aluminum grandpaw boat, or a Jon boat with a Mud Buddy so I can shoot pooh all over the potlickers.

Comment

Working...
                              X