After the catch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After the catch.

When you catch fish and decide to keep it to eat, what do you do with it now? Asking specifically about trout, reds, and flounder. On ice but not in ice water? Do you filet or scale? What do you do with the carcasses? Different for each species or all the same? I throw them all in the cooler that I usually have 2 big bags of Buc-ee's ice and filet them all when I get home. Still not figured anything good to do with carcasses yet since trash day is not till Tuesday. I know, city folk right but we all can't live on the water.

I chunk mine in the canal behind the house -- My boss buries them in his garden to fertilize his plants -- he doesn't fish much though. I've also been known to throw stuff in the dumpster up at the school a little ways from my house. I pay school taxes -- should be able to get some use out of em!

Redfish -- halfshell and vac sealed
    Trout -- filleted and vac sealed
    Flounder -- scaled / head and tail cut off or filleted and vac sealed.

A vacuum sealer is awesome if you want to keep em in the freezer for any length of time.
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

put the heads back on them two bags of ice they wont stink till trash day then chunk em
      MANVEL MOB

Comment

Re: After the catch.

I feed all the ants, turtles, and strays on the bayou behind the house!

Sent from my Motorola car phone using rotary dial.
        Sent from my MOTOROLA car phone using rotary dial.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post

Redfish -- halfshell and vac sealed
          Trout -- filleted and vac sealed
          Flounder -- scaled / head and tail cut off or filleted and vac sealed.

A vacuum sealer is awesome if you want to keep em in the freezer for any length of time.
          Yup...
          sigpic

Comment

I throw them in the neighbors pond.

Comment

I put the carcusses in a trash bag and then in the freezer until trash day.

Comment

The carcasses become fertilizer for my grandma's garden. I swear she had the largest zucchini I have ever seen growing out there.
                Resident Ninja

Comment

Re: After the catch.

Fillet all double freezer bag with a lil water. Carcasses go in the empty lot by blue bell lmao

Comment

Could freeze carcasses in plastic bags till trash day, chunk em in! Or if you got crab traps, in they go. Or bury for fertilizer, be surprised what happens when you bury by a tree!!! All fillets go in bags filled with h2o...

Comment

I throw all my carcasses and fish guts in the yard of the guy that stole the props from Bryan Evans.
                      "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Carcasses in trash bag and into freezer. then either use as chum or throw away on trash day.

Comment

Ive got a big freezer in the garage. i usually put all the guts and left overs in a garbage back and throw it in the freezer till trash day.
                          75% Saltwater 5% led 20 % soft plastic 99% Alcohol 500% Fish stories = the make up of an angler.

Comment

When it comes to keeping whole fish in a cooler for any amout of time, never let them soak in ice water. Doing so will even make firm Flounder meat mushy. Have a nice layer of ice on the bottom and start stacking the fish on top. I usually have another Ice chest just for drinks and to have extra ice on hand to keep the fish covered in ice. You don't want to have you're fish sitting just on top of the ice. The fish needs to be sandwiched inbetween layers of ice.
                            By draining the water and keeping the ice fresh I can have my fish sit perfectly safe for a few days if I'm out on multi-day trips before getting back to home.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
                            Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Filleted and vac seal all of them. If i run out of vac seal. Ill get a Ziploc bag put the fish in and fill it with water.

The carcasses go in a bag then off to the corner store down the street.

Comment

Working...
                              X