No announcement yet.

Flounder Boat Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it took longer than expected to get around to installing the additional rudders, but here they are...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0365.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	557953Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0366.jpg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	557954Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0367.jpg
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	557955

I believe the steering response will be better.
    Attached Files
    "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

I love the signs, genius pure genius
      When I grow up I want to be, One of the harvesters of the sea. I think before my days are done, I want to be a fisherman.

Comment

Forking sweet!
        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Re: Flounder Boat Upgrades

Thats awesome man

Comment

I know fabbing up stuff is cool man stuff but,,,,if you can fab up the entire fan to turn on its mount then you will turn better and you will lose all that extra weight asscociated with the rudders. Keep in mind it's not a airboat but a fan fanboat. I'd lose that saftey shroud too as you don't need it, it's just extra weight and lightness in a flounder boat is critical.
            I'm not trying to come across as a know it all smartass so I hope you don't take it that way. Just telling you through experience.
            Nice fab job though.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
            Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Originally posted by 2112 View Post
              I know fabbing up stuff is cool man stuff but,,,,if you can fab up the entire fan to turn on its mount then you will turn better and you will lose all that extra weight asscociated with the rudders. Keep in mind it's not a airboat but a fan fanboat. I'd lose that saftey shroud too as you don't need it, it's just extra weight and lightness in a flounder boat is critical.
              I'm not trying to come across as a know it all smartass so I hope you don't take it that way. Just telling you through experience.
              Nice fab job though.
              I hear ya...and thanks. So far this has been a 'fun' project for us. I know you are right about the weight issues. We can currently run in 5" of water with 3 people on board. The small floatation pods we added helped level out the boat. Now when we get stuck, we are stuck pretty good because the full length of the boat is on the bottom. We plan to take it out this Saturday night and see how it performs. We have yet to put it on the flatfish.
              "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

Flounder Boat Upgrades

That is a man who wants to stab some flounder!!!!awesome job!!!
                Captain Glenn Stevens
                Coastal Guide Service
                www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

I had the privilege of seeing it in person today. I must say pictures don't do it justice. Awesome rig. I need to rig up some stabilizers for mine. Or whatever you call tthem.

Comment

2112 can tell you what size weights(free weights from academy) and how long of a chain for the stabilizers. Nice work. This makes me want to get my econo tig machine up and running.
                    Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Ya , dragging weights in certain conditions are important. For instance heading down current and down wind even with the fan at idle you will be going to fast. Toss the weights and it will slow you down so you can make a successful stab at a flounder. Weights can also help you in oversteer corrections. It will greatly help the boat to keep on a straight coarse.
                      I drag a 5 lb flat barbell weight attached to a chain off each end of the transome.
                      Ive been thinking about you're rudder set up. I know you are using a wheel whereas I use a stick but still it would seem to me you are going to experience some serious feed back issues from the prop blast pushing on the rudders transmitting back to your well and I'm fairly certain the rudders would not be as effective in getting the bow to turn compared to fan motor that turns on its mount.

Anyway ya...5 lb weights dragged off the back work good.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
                      Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Working...
                      X