Manatee Spotted in West Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manatee Spotted in West Bay

Just saw this in the Galveston Daily News. Be careful out there this weekend with these swimming around. Had no idea we had them here in Houston area.

As reported by Joe Kent October 22:

If you have noticed what you thought was a manatee swimming around Offatts Bayou, chances are you are correct. Marita XXXXXX at Pelican Island Marina spotted one Friday evening swimming around her docks.

I hope it heads south FAST. Poor things die in the cold weather.
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Originally posted by coachlaw View Post
      I hope it heads south FAST. Poor things die in the cold weather.
      x2!!
      MANVEL MOB

Comment

Re: Manatee Spotted in West Bay

Thats crazy

Comment

It needs a wet suit and a back pad to ward off prop mars!....Dont tell the sasquatch,he mite try to catch it!!
          West Bay Sensai...

Comment

[QUOTE=FischerAngling;238116]Just saw this in the Galveston Daily News. Be careful out there this weekend with these swimming around. Had no idea we had them here in Houston area.

As reported by Joe Kent October 22:

If you have noticed what you thought was a manatee swimming around Offatts Bayou, chances are you are correct. Marita XXXXXX at Pelican Island Marina spotted one Friday evening swimming around her docks.

Well, we really don't have them here in the Houston area. It's lost and has coachlaw mentioned if it does not find it's way back to Florida or deep south texas it probably will die. One will show up here from time to time but they don't live here. Gater

Comment

Wow, had no idea they ventured to this area.
              I COME FROM THE WATER!!!

Comment

The water is about 70 degrees, no problem for a manatee yet - and yes they will roam up and down the coast looking for sea grass, of which there should be plenty in places. If temperatures fall quickly into the upper 40s, that's a big problem.

By the way if the sea cow is still hanging around the marina, they love the freshwater hose! Sort of illegal but fun to throw a hose off the dock, have a beer, and watch them slurp.

Concerned about prop scars and a wayward manatee? There is a sea mammal rescue group in Texas. They are very good. Don't tell them you've been giving the cow freshwater and beer, OK?

Conserving Marine Mammals in Texas Texas Marine Mammal Stranding Network Report a stranding

Comment

half shell is the best way to eat 'em
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Baby Tran Cat View Post
                    half shell is the best way to eat 'em
                    My fishing friend Philipe in Belize says, "the babies are the best"!
                    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Working...
                    X