No announcement yet.

Yamaha low water pickups on 18' Shoalwater flats - Nosecone or Cavitation Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha low water pickups on 18' Shoalwater flats - Nosecone or Cavitation Plate

So the title is a bit of a mouthful but I've got a question for you guys. I've got an 18' Shoalwater Flats which does not have a channel. I'm running a 2000 90 horsepower Yamaha with a Dettwiler jackplate and 'whale tail'. The Yamaha has the pickups above the gearbox(normal setup).

I have a couple questions 1) Will the Yamaha have issues with air intake if I decide to run this setup shallow? 2) Would a Bob's shallow water pickup nosecone help with this or would I be better off buying a true cavitation plate?

I'd like to have little problems when needing to run this setup in 4"-6" of water. However I can't see this happening if those pickups are 8"-10" from the bottom of the skeg. I don't want to overheat this thing every time I get shallow.

Any help or thoughts is appreciated!

Chris

if you are going with one or the other, I would pic cav plate.

Comment

That boat without a tunnel will not run 4-6" of water you are looking at more lik.e 12" with a non tunnel

Comment

Re: Yamaha low water pickups on 18' Shoalwater flats - Nosecone or Cavitation Plate

I run a non-tunnel and can run in an honest 6-8 inches without a problem. Cavplate is all you need.
        I have an uncontrolable desire to wanna jerk my rod.

Comment

If you are running in 4" of water you will have other problems than just overheating! LOL

Comment

12" My ***! I could be on soft bottom in that boat and get up on plane by tucking the motor. The boat floats in 3" of water.
            Bryan Evans

Boat Werx of Texas
            (AKA Evans Marine Services)
            4340 19th St.
            Bacliff, Texas 77518
            http://evansmarine.net
            http://boatwerxtx.com
            main@boatwerxtx.com
            281-559-BOAT (2628)

Comment

Re: Yamaha low water pickups on 18' Shoalwater flats - Nosecone or Cavitation Plate

Originally posted by evansmarine View Post
              12" My ***! I could be on soft bottom in that boat and get up on plane by tucking the motor. The boat floats in 3" of water.
              Glad I didn't haven't to exaggerate. It does run shallower bit I'm not one to brag.

Comment

I was going to say something myself.Slickfishes I run many times.Its skinny.I heard a double setback jack plate on a flatbottom makes em run better.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzy View Post
                  I was going to say something myself.Slickfishes I run many times.Its skinny.I heard a double setback jack plate on a flatbottom makes em run better.
                  I was hoping that it would run shallower than 12". I think the Dettwiler jack plate I'm running has a 4" setback with 6-8" of lift. The jack plate will get that 90 up pretty high.

I know many of the newer engines incorporate the lower pickups. But does anyone have a Bob's Nosecone with the low water pickups?

Comment

It will run right next to a Shoalwater with a tunnel.

Comment

Originally posted by evansmarine View Post

Yeah ok I have yet to see a boat that floats in 3" of water. I deal with shallow water boats all day. Bottom line is you are running a non tunnel with a standard lower unit with a 12-13" diameter prop. Most people say's thier boat floats super shallow but I have found that when you put the tape measure to them totally different story. I am just trying to be realistic If you can get it to run shallower with tweaking the prop and a jack plate great. I am doubtful you will be able to keep water pressure in the 6' and under depth.

Comment

Originally posted by TXSHOCKWAVE View Post
                        Yeah ok I have yet to see a boat that floats in 3" of water. I deal with shallow water boats all day. Bottom line is you are running a non tunnel with a standard lower unit with a 12-13" diameter prop. Most people say's thier boat floats super shallow but I have found that when you put the tape measure to them totally different story. I am just trying to be realistic If you can get it to run shallower with tweaking the prop and a jack plate great. I am doubtful you will be able to keep water pressure in the 6' and under depth.
                        Well it happens and it happens with a Shoalwater. I'll be more than happy to give you a ride and show ya. How they did it I don't know and don't care. I'm more than satisfied with the 18' flats non tunnel.

Comment

I get on a plane in 0" of water so.... HA!!!

We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

here is egret anckle deep how ever deep that is.

Here is another throw back to 2008 my GTR will get up shallower than yours coe lol

Comment

Yamaha low water pickups on 18' Shoalwater flats - Nosecone or Cavitation Plate

I can run in 3". Just can't stop or I'm screwed.
                              Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Working...
                              X