Bayou Vista RR Bridge ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bayou Vista RR Bridge ?

I'm doing research on houses. I've read on charts that the RR bridge near Bayou Vista is only 5 ft tall. I've looked at houses on har and trulia and see boats that look like they wouldn't get out of there (one ski boat with a tower especially). What is the height of this area, and is it one of those bridges where the tides will keep you in/out?

I have a 22 foot center console with a foldable T Top. Thanks in advance.
    VHF 16/68

That bridge is really low but most center console boats can get under it even on high tide (I can remove my winshield for curcumstances like that tho). If you have doubts, launch at Louie's and motor up to it and see how your boat clears the bridge. After you clear the bridge and round the corner you are in Jones Lake-a notorious lower end eater. I hope you already know that area.
    Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
    "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

I've seen folks take those party barges under the bridge. Just remember to lay yours rods down and duck your head on a high tide.

Comment

most of time you should have no problem, just be careful of high tide. I have seen some folks not able to get back through, but that is rare

Comment

If I remember correctly, most times I pass under it the clearance gauge is reading 60 to 65 inches. Occasionally more, seldom less.
          Walker

Anegada, BVI (N18° 44.683' W64° 24.133')
          and
          Houston (Clear Lake City)

Comment

dont do it! no fish there anyway.
            the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

You want a boat that will clear at least 64", less is better. More than 64" you will not get under it on higher than normal tide days. har and trulia?? where is that, not in BV or OB. If your looking in Freddyville/Hitchcock NOTHING gets under that RR bridge.
              -----------------------
              .~~~~ ~~~~~~~ www.saltwaterhooker.net

Comment

Thanks for the info. Keep it coming. Totally new to this side of the West Bay area.
                VHF 16/68

Comment

Bayou Vista RR Bridge ?

Originally posted by Lori77563 View Post
                  You want a boat that will clear at least 64", less is better. More than 64" you will not get under it on higher than normal tide days. har and trulia?? where is that, not in BV or OB. If your looking in Freddyville/Hitchcock NOTHING gets under that RR bridge.
                  Har and trulia are real estate websites

Comment

Bayou Vista RR Bridge ?

Lol!! Sorry I can't add to the bridge discussion but your screen name is outstanding!!

"Thank you nice lady." Lol
                    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

It is not just the RR bridge clearance but Jones and West bay is SHALLOW, if you have a deep draft boat sell it before you move here.
                      -----------------------

Comment

Thanks to all who replied. Fished many times out of Pirate's and Jamaica Beach. Mostly Green's/ Caranchua/ Jumbile/ State Park area. I think the boat I have is about as shallow as I'll go....

Ibtsoom...."You sounded a little taller on the radio...."
                        VHF 16/68

Comment

You'd think that before putting a 1000 house sub-division in they'd try to work something out with the RR.... I was looking in there as well but have been skeptical with that bridge in there.

Comment

I have a polling platform which stands about 6 “ higher than my console. If I can see 60” clearly, I can creep under but its too close for comfort. The Kenner console before had no problems.

Comment

Most people don't realize that the outside of the RR bridge is 1-1 1/2" lower than the inside.

Originally posted by JS24 View Post
                              I have a polling platform which stands about 6 “ higher than my console. If I can see 60” clearly, I can creep under but its too close for comfort. The Kenner console before had no problems.
                              -----------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X