A little help for a newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little help for a newbie

Got a used Cobia 174 a couple of months ago. Been out of Thompson's a few times with limited success. Planning to go this Sunday. I think I have all of the equipment I need, I just need some advice as to where to launch (Tx City, Thompson's, etc) and anything like fish the flats, fish the rigs, the channels. ANY help appreciated. Thanks, Mark S.
    Fly to live, live to fish

more info please....lures or live bait...?

Comment

Either. Got a functioning live well. Was floating a shrimp while throwing plastics. Now that Thompson's is closed for the winter I was looking for another ramp that sells bait or just continue in Trinity with artificials. Thanks, Mark

Comment

I live in Kingwood which is mainly why we have been using Thompson's. I can be in the water in less than an hour.

Comment

I'd target shell in 4'-6', and throw artys close to bottom...you'll hang up some but that's where the fish will be. If you hang, wait till the boat drifts by the hangup and it usually will come undone. Try some pink maniac mullets in the fast sinker, but most colors will work. Just my .02...but maybe Dows or Beasleys Reef since your heading out of Thompsons!
          Another good spot this time of year and fairly close, is out of Sylvan Beach...mixed spoil out in front of the Yacht club out a ways that'll hold fish this time of year. I haven't heard many reports lately, but its a good spot when the wind is up, and its close to the ramp!
          Don't be a Nancy!
          If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Yank,

I am actually wanting to learn the same general area. Be patient and it will all come together. I have been out there 3 or 4 times and just recently had a decent day out there with castaway.

Fire up Google Earth and check out the lay of land.

buoy

Comment

Originally posted by FlatoutFishin View Post
              I'd target shell in 4'-6', and throw artys close to bottom...you'll hang up some but that's where the fish will be. If you hang, wait till the boat drifts by the hangup and it usually will come undone. Try some pink maniac mullets in the fast sinker, but most colors will work. Just my .02...but maybe Dows or Beasleys Reef since your heading out of Thompsons!
              Another good spot this time of year and fairly close, is out of Sylvan Beach...mixed spoil out in front of the Yacht club out a ways that'll hold fish this time of year. I haven't heard many reports lately, but its a good spot when the wind is up, and its close to the ramp!
              Good stuff Flatout. We will give this a try and report back. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X