Welder/trailer guys Question for you, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welder/trailer guys Question for you, please

I own an 11.5 ft; 75 lb WS RIDE 115 kayak. I'd like a narrow lightweight trailer for it. Everything I see for yaks are converted wide 1000 lb trailers. or cost more than the yak itself.

I am thinking of buying this HaulMaster utility trailer

and then just using the axle/wheels; the base; and extending the tongue; adding fenders and maybe shocks or springs or maybe just some foam noodles between two 2x4 or 2x6 longitudinal supports.

I don't have the storage space for anything much wider than 34 inches. My yak is only 34 inches. Any ideas; suggestions; other alternatives appreciated. I need to keep the cost below $400/500. thanks Rich

p.s. I do not have access to welding tools, nor do I know how to do that.

I have a trailer that would be perfect.
    Karma's a beach.

Comment

Its wider than 34" though... Send PM PLease
      Karma's a beach.

Comment

I may have just what you need. I have a motorycle trailer I never use any more. It's real nice but I also have a cargo (covered) trailer I use now for transporting my bikes. It could easily be converted to hold one or two yaks since it has a 40" X 74" bed. Overall width is about 50". PM me.
        Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
        "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

Termo....thanks for your offering. I just re-measured the storage space that I have available. Anything wider than 40 inches won't fit. And at 40 inches, it is a squeeze, too. Think I will keep looking. regards, rich

Comment

ok
            Karma's a beach.

Comment

I don't like that trailer at all, it's for hauling stuff around the yard. I doubt the Chinese kid who built it ever intended it to do 65 mph. The tires look like they belong on a wheel barrow and I bet those bearings would get red hot in about 5 minutes at any kind of speed. You can find a better trailer to repurpose. If width is a problem consider standing the trailer on it's side when you store it. You got a long haul between you and the fish, I wouldn't cheap out too much and have a goofy unobtainable chinese bearing melt down on you far from home, the smaller the tire the faster they are turning.
              When I grow up I want to be, One of the harvesters of the sea. I think before my days are done, I want to be a fisherman.

Comment

these are handy.

Comment

Hesser...yes, after receiving a number of negative comments about the garden tractor (its advantage was the narrow width) ...I've upped my choices to include the HB one that you listed. It would be nice if I could find the over-all width on the darn thing. I've even downloaded the manual from HB but it gives the bed width but not the overall width. I am guessing about 56 inches or so....too wide for my needs.

Width (and 11.5 foot length) is my limitation for storage, flat on the concrete floor of my garage... with the yak on it.

If I cannot do that, then I will have to figure something else out. If I can reduce the overall width to 43 inches or so, even if the yak has to ride ABOVE the fenders...then a trailer would be the answer to my dilimena. thanks for all of the help. Rich

Comment

Looks like I found a solution...but it cost a bit more than either Harbor Freight trailer.

I just bought the smallest galvanized trailer that Academy sells. $500.00. Only mods needed will be to re-make the supports (designed for a jon boat) to fit my yak.

Best thing yet is that the trailer, WITH my yak on it....will fit .....somewhat diagonally.... into the front of my present power boat barn!!!!!

Free storage and no more bad back!

Thanks for all of the input. It was helpful in my final decision.

regards, Rich

Comment

Working...
                    X