Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Location question for the Old Salts

Howdy,

I've been working my tail off since New Year and I haven't been perusing the message boards, much less getting out on the water for some winter fishing. My buddy and I are wanting to head down to GI on Sunday for some kayak and/or wade fishing, but neither of us are particularly experienced fishing this time of year. I did my first winter fishing for the first time in Dec'11 at Anahuac State Park and cleaned up on reds, but that was my only time. In short, I wanted to see if the vets could point us in the right direction on some good spots for this time of year and artificials that are working. From what I can tell, there's a full moon this weekend and Sunday's high tide is around 5am. Any help you vets could provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Tuck up in a cove on the south shoreline and throw dark colored plastics -- Stick to the deeper water until the sun gets up and heats things up a bit.
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
      Tuck up in a cove on the south shoreline and throw dark colored plastics -- Stick to the deeper water until the sun gets up and heats things up a bit.
      X2. Short and sweet.
      "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Thanks. I can always count on common courtesy and a helping hand on this board (unlike others). What about kayaking/wading SLP? In that deeper cut on the NE side of the pass? I haven't been there in forever. Too open (i.e. not a cove)?

Comment

Originally posted by mallardslayer77 View Post
          Thanks. I can always count on common courtesy and a helping hand on this board (unlike others). What about kayaking/wading SLP? In that deeper cut on the NE side of the pass? I haven't been there in forever. Too open (i.e. not a cove)?
          I'm no expert by any means but many folks move up the bay in winter time. Capt Greg Francis wrote a good article for FWE on fishing West Bay. If you give it a read, it identifies some good strategies for this time of year - Aqua Pimp Article

Capt Steve Soule wrote another article on cold water fishing that is also a good reference. Another good read - Shallowist Article
          "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Here are some launch sites in and around Galveston. Hope it helps. Scroll and pan in to the Galveston area with your mouse. If the wind is blowing, maybe try launching on the west shoreline around 8 mile road or Sportsman's Cove.

Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
            "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerkyourcroaker View Post
              I'm no expert by any means but many folks move up the bay in winter time. Capt Greg Francis wrote a good article for FWE on fishing West Bay. If you give it a read, it identifies some good strategies for this time of year - Aqua Pimp Article

Capt Steve Soule wrote another article on cold water fishing that is also a good reference. Another good read - Shallowist Article

Very informative.. Great read!
              KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Those articles were great, thanks for posting. Answered dozens of questions that I had.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerkyourcroaker View Post

Capt Steve Soule wrote another article on cold water fishing that is also a good reference. Another good read - Shallowist

Article
                  Good stuff
                  When these articles written? I did not see dates on them. Not that it matters, just curious.
                  Thanks
                  Finfisher

Comment

Ended up going to Chocolate Bayou last Sunday, fished the Northside of the bridge. My buddy slayed them and I couldn't buy a keeper all day. Wind was brutal. First trip of 2013 = big time SKUNK.

Comment

Originally posted by mallardslayer77 View Post
                      Ended up going to Chocolate Bayou last Sunday, fished the Northside of the bridge. My buddy slayed them and I couldn't buy a keeper all day. Wind was brutal. First trip of 2013 = big time SKUNK.
                      Well of course, Bouy37 could have told you that: NFIC.
                      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Working...
                      X