3-D Seismic Shoot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-D Seismic Shoot

I got a notice from the C.O.E. that Samson is going to shoot a 730+ sq. mile 3-D including West Bay. They will use 11# charges and 110' shotholes on 220' spacing (normal type stuff).

My only concern is when and if they use bricks or cinder blocks for their markers (they'll have buoys but it is how they weigh them down is my issue) of the shot points like was done in Matagorda bay about 15+ years ago which became hazards and many boats lost lower units/props and had to sue for repairs.

The site is http://www.swg.usace.army.mil/Media/PublicNotices.aspx to view the whole deal.

I plan on sending them my concern regarding marking of shot points and also not blowing up fish while shooting the charges.

Below is a map of the shoot outline.

Other than as mentioned above, I have no objection to the shoot.

If you want to comment (constructively of course-no whacko crapola from some anti-oil pyscho):

CLOSE OF COMMENT PERIOD: All comments pertaining to this public notice must reach this office on or before 20 February 2013. Extensions of the comment period may be granted for valid reasons provided a written request is received by the limiting date. If no comments are received by that date, it will be considered that there are no objections. Comments and requests for additional information should reference our File Number, SWG-2012-00906, and should be submitted to:
    Natalie Rund
    Regulatory Branch, CESWG-PE-RE
    U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
    P.O. Box 1229
    Galveston, Texas 77553-1229
    409-766-6384 Phone
    409-766-6301 Fax
    swg_public_notice@usace.army.mil
    Attached Files
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

I wonder if theyre working off of a 20 year old environmental impact statemnet for this one? Granted, not as intrusive as dredging but still has the potential for substantial impacts.
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

looking at page 4 of the map, it doesn't seem to show bay grass areas?????

I'll add that to my comment also.
      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Someone should tell them that their map is completely missing Mud Island and Moody's Island.
        From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Originally posted by coachlaw View Post
          Someone should tell them that their map is completely missing Mud Island and Moody's Island.
          see Page 2 Sandy. Looks like they show on that version-remember-this stuff is partially from the Gummint!!?? And we knows they bees always rite.

Comment

I've consulted on several shoots. I'm incorporating my comments so you may phrase your questions with this insight, if you wish:

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
            I got a notice from the C.O.E. that Samson is going to shoot a 730+ sq. mile 3-D including West Bay. They will use 11# charges and 110' shotholes on 220' spacing (normal type stuff) Yup, very typical.

My only concern is when and if they use bricks or cinder blocks for their markers (they'll have buoys but it is how they weigh them down is my issue) of the shot points like was done in Matagorda bay about 15+ years ago which became hazards and many boats lost lower units/props and had to sue for repairs. Good point, though the shot points will be GPS'd. The bouys and cinder blocks come into play to hold down the lines of geophones, they need to be requested to mark and remove all of them.

The site is http://www.swg.usace.army.mil/Media/PublicNotices.aspx to view the whole deal.

I plan on sending them my concern regarding marking of shot points (good point) and also not blowing up fish (the harm to the aquatic life will come from drilling the shot holes, the resulting tremor from the buried shot will be really minor, and should not even blow out of the shot hole) while shooting the charges.

When drilling the shot holes and setting (and removing) the lines of geophones: Before and after pictures, and video, of the sensitive aras should be documented. To ensure that marsh and sea grasses, and bird roosts are undisturbed. Documentation that all areas within nature preserves are restored to pre-survey conditions.

Below is a map of the shoot outline.

Other than as mentioned above, I have no objection to the shoot.

If you want to comment (constructively of course-no whacko crapola from some anti-oil pyscho):

CLOSE OF COMMENT PERIOD: All comments pertaining to this public notice must reach this office on or before 20 February 2013. Extensions of the comment period may be granted for valid reasons provided a written request is received by the limiting date. If no comments are received by that date, it will be considered that there are no objections. Comments and requests for additional information should reference our File Number, SWG-2012-00906, and should be submitted to:
            Natalie Rund
            Regulatory Branch, CESWG-PE-RE
            U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
            P.O. Box 1229
            Galveston, Texas 77553-1229
            409-766-6384 Phone
            409-766-6301 Fax
            swg_public_notice@usace.army.mil
            At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Working...
            X