Where to fish SLP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to fish SLP?

I want to start fishing SLP from the bank once the weather warms up. I have two big rods, a 9 and a 10 foot ugly stick, along with a Penn battle 6000 and a Penn squall 60. Where are some good spots to fish? Also what about parking, I drive a 2WD Toyota Highlander, can I drive on the sand. Also did so I use bay tackle or surf tackle?

Thanks
    Pat

I'll be anxiously watching this thread as I've never caught a fish at SLP and not for lack of trying. I will tell you though you should be fine in the sand as long as you have sense and stay out of the windblown stuff. I find the freeport side for easy to drive on, had my civic over there several times no trouble. If you think you might be having difficulty, drop your tire pressure, it'll do wonders. Your highlander with 15psi in the tires will do better than a awd one at street pressure. That says nothing for catching fish though.
    When I grow up I want to be, One of the harvesters of the sea. I think before my days are done, I want to be a fisherman.

Comment

Re: Where to fish SLP?

Originally posted by 76794p View Post
      I want to start fishing SLP from the bank once the weather warms up. I have two big rods, a 9 and a 10 foot ugly stick, along with a Penn battle 6000 and a Penn squall 60. Where are some good spots to fish? Also what about parking, I drive a 2WD Toyota Highlander, can I drive on the sand. Also did so I use bay tackle or surf tackle?

Thanks
      Pat
      Give it two to three months, then it will be on, water temp is big in my opion in slp, again that's my opinion

Sent from my LGL35G using Tapatalk 2
      I dont always drink beer, but when i do , I prefer to be fishing !!!!!

Comment

Where to fish SLP?

How would i reinflate my tires for the drive home?

Comment

spring and fall are the best.
          the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Where to fish SLP?

Is the summer any good? I am off school then and will fish the most then.

Comment

lots of trash fish in the summer but you never know. the surf is the place to be if not to rough!
              the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

I am a new guy where is SLP?

Comment

Where to fish SLP?

Between surfside and the western edge of galveston.

Comment

late spring thru summer can be great at SLP if you know what to look for.

I've followed guys that have watched the troutsupport.com dvd's and a lot of them are really confident at finding fish in the pass during that time. check them out, they have a money back guarantee and free shipping.
                    TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CButler65 View Post
                      I am a new guy where is SLP?
                      San Luis Pass. Google for map.

Comment

Thanks
                        Pat
                        SLP is the area I first learned to wade fish. I have a couple buddies that do some surf fishing from there, so I'll try to pass some of their tips along, since bank fishing with a 9' pole is what you want to do. They tell me they rarely get in the water due to the strong currents that run through there. Use surf tackle if you're fishng surfside with those big *** poles. Spring til early Summer tends to be the best times for SLP.
                        What Would Hans Wagemueller Do?

Comment

Ok, I'm a dork I thought it was that but had to ask. We fish there everytime we come to Galveston.

Comment

How would i reinflate my tires for the drive home?
                            Personally I carry a CO2 tank with a hi flow regulator. I'd be shocked if there's not an airline near by at the KOA or bait camp. Hopefully someone will chime in. If you plan to drive on the sand a small compressor and a tow strap could save your or someone else's day sometime. Don't mean to spook you though you can drive right down on the hard packed stuff no worries. One of the first times I was down there the people next to us were there in a mini van, a sunfire, and a GSXR. You'll be fine. Been down there in my civic on skinny little tires and never had a moments trouble. But I tried to sneak through the wind blown stuff in my truck one day and sank quick. Had to lock in 4x4, drop my tires and popped right out.
                            When I grow up I want to be, One of the harvesters of the sea. I think before my days are done, I want to be a fisherman.

Comment

Where to fish SLP?

My car is front wheel drive and i have read that you should not drive on sand with a front wheel drive.

Comment

Working...
                              X