Need a new trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new trailer

Hey guys, I have a 15 flatbottom aluminum boat, and I knew when I started using it in the bay, the clock was ticking on the trailer.

I've never bought a boat trailer before, where should I start? Which is cheaper, galvanized or aluminum? I don't need anything fancy, just something that isn't disappearing on me.

find an aluminum trailer or you will continue to have the same problems.

Comment

Galvanized is cheaper, and if you wash it every time you go it should last a long time. I'd try and find a used one. A new trailer will cost maybe $1200. & up.

I looked and found these.

Last edited by kenny; February 7, 2013, 07:58 PM.
      "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Craigslist

Comment

Been cruising the CL, didn't see that one, kenny. Thanks, I'll give them a call.

I'm assuming at that price, he won't even know what the word title means, how hard is the homemade trailer paperwork? Especially since it looks like I'll be putting bunks and such on any of those, in the pictures.

Comment

Why not just put new springs, hubs and axles on? Unless the frame is rusted completely, I'd just roll a whole new set under the frame and bolt it on-much cheaper than buying a whole new trailer. If frame is just surface rust, grind it off, spray some of that rust stop stuff on and hit the whole frame with an undercoat of primer and then cold-galvanized paint it.

My old sportsman trailer is from 1987-I've put 3 new sets of axles, springs and hubs on it over the years.
            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

You can get bunk brackets at West Marine and replace those also.
              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I don't want to keep fighting a loosing battle, this trailer has lived a hard life as a duck boat trailer, there isn't a part of it that hasn't been bent, busted, rewelded, or replaced. This is already the second axle. The paint is all but gone on the whole trailer, and the rust is winning.

To be clear, everything works on it fine right now, (well except the lights, but what trailer has working lights anyway).

I just see the end in sight, and want to look at replacing before it gets worse.

Comment

Working...
                X