Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinons wanted for fuel/Ethanol treatment

My dealer insisted that Yamaha warranty require the consumer to use it's
    Yamalube wich I have but no where on the bottle does it state that it is a fuel stabilizer or deals with Ethanol issues.

I was at auto zone a came across this bottle of "marine Formula STA-BIL"
    so before I use it, I'm wondering what you guys are doing to address Ethanol issues and fuel stabilizers.

Think I need some sort of stabilizer because sometimes I do go long stretches without running the engine.

I also saw a bottle of "Sea Foam" but it deals with moisture but then again, Ethanol is reportedly to be a moisture magnet on top of its unstable nature.

What are you guys using in you're outboards?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
    Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Ring free is great stuff. It's a fuel system cleaner, and you should keep using it regardless. The new blue Sta-Bil is great stuff too, and it deals particularly with the problem our government in it's "wisdom" has foisted upon us. Of course I speak of the problem with the worthless ethanol junk that dissolves water in our gas, making water separators essentially useless. I use both Seafoam and the blue Sta-Bil. I'd use ring free instead of Seafoam, but it's harder to find and much more expensive.

Some have come out and said that Seafoam is not good any more due to the ethanol now present in what used to be our good gas. I think there may be some validity to this, and I've kept looking and listening to opinions.

The main thing that kills our outboards is inactivity. Make sure you run it on the hose once a week, even if you can't take the boat out. That by itself will keep many bad things from happening.
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Thanks Sandy.
      My engine is a fuel injected four stroke and as such I am under the impression
      that the concern about running all the fuel out of the fuel delivery system is'nt nessesary like it is for carb engines.
      So should I be adding the STA-BIL and the Yamalube at the same time is now my question?
      Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

The blue Stabil and the Startron ethanol stuff-on startron, make sure ya get the "gas" one, not the diesel one (they look the same).
        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by 2112 View Post
          So should I be adding the STA-BIL and the Yamalube at the same time is now my question?
          No ....

one or the other will be fine .....

The Marine STABIL has a thing in it to help clean like the ringfree .... but to be safe .... I would try to stick with only the Yamalube ....

The Mfgr. designed it for your motor......
          FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Keeping the fuel fresh is the key ....

Gas goes bad after a 2 months or so ..... ethonal attracts H2O ... by it's design

Boats have an open loop system, unlike a car.

Becasue of the open loop system, humidty is your enemy.

Running the boat and keeping the gas tank full is a real good start.

On carb motors, dont run them out of gas before you put it up ....

If you can't run the boat simply pumping up the bulb will be better than nothing.
            FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

PRI-G

Comment

My boat doesn't sit still long enough to really worry about my fuel going bad but, I add a pint of seafoam in EVERY tank of gas that I put in it. When it's time for me to change my in-line filter, I'll fill the new one up with seafoam and run it for about 20 minutes then let it sit for about an hour then run it again for 20 minutes or so and this does a poor man's carb treatment on it at the same time
                I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Ring free and like Albert said PRI-G. That stuff really helps, thanks for putting me onto it Albert.
                  LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Ok all and thanks for the insight.
                    For sure I will not be using a combination of the two.
                    I'll at least finish up with the Yamalube and when its empty
                    I'll switch to the blue sta-bil.

Comment

I like to use the combo. I reckon each is good for it's own thing, and it can't hurt to use both. Can anyone think of a reason NOT to use seafoam and Sta-Bil together?
                      From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Yall need to be careful with the seafoam ....

Once everyone once in a while is fine but to much will melt your power head, or do other damage.

Just ask an honest mechanic ......
                        FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

someone posted a link talking about the popular treatments. Pri-G has alcohol in it which I found surprising. Stabil had good reviews.

Comment

Torque,

PRI-G does not contain alcohol. Here are a few Q & A's:

Does PRI-G contain alcohol?
                            PRI-G contains absolutely no alcohol.

Will PRI void my warranty?
                            PRI will not void your warranty. PRI complies with the fuel specifications of all engine manufacturers. PRI does not alter the specification of fuel in any harmful way. In fact, PRI improves fuel performance and lowers emissions.

What happens if I over treat with PRI?
                            Accidental over treatment with PRI is nothing to be concerned about. PRI is a petroleum based product and will not harm your engine or fuel delivery system with overtreatment. Constant over treatment with PRI should be avoided. PRI should be used at the proper ratio. It is not formulated as a substitute for fuel in your engine.

Does PRI work with other additives?
                            There is no harm in combining PRI and other additives. However, PRI cannot guarantee its effectiveness when it is combined with other additives. For effective, maximum result, use PRI alone in your fuel and at the proper ratio.

Does PRI-G boost Octane?
                            PRI-G is not an Octane booster. PRI-G will only increase Octane marginally. PRI-G will increase combustion efficiency.

Comment

I have been using the Sta-bil product in my Suzuki. It has gotten some of the highest reviews. I have to believe that using anything is better than nothing. All fuel now has some percentage of ethanol. The cost of damage to your engine would be more than the additive....

Good Luck...
                              "Buy a Fish, Feed Yourself... Buy a Fishing License, Feed a Whole Community..."
                              "The Fish You Catch, Tastes Better, than the One You Bought..."

Comment

Working...
                              X