468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The end of an era? The Gray Ghost arrives, and a new flag.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The end of an era? The Gray Ghost arrives, and a new flag.

When I was faced with the first little problem the Ugly Mudda threw at me, I made a move that I thought would be temporary. I'm always scouring craigslist for good boat deals, and over the years it has put a little jingle in my pocket. I found a deal I couldn't pass up in this boat. In dealing with the seller, who didn't have the title, and the motor had had a fire in it, I was able to wangle the second best deal I ever have for a boat.

I did the legwork for the title, which included a couple trips to Brazoria and dealing with the kindest widow lady I have ever met. Got it registered with TPWD via a mountain of forms and supporting paperwork, then I picked her up. I named her the "Gray Ghost" in homage to the famous Confederate partisan, John S. Mosby. Just about this time, the Mudda's motor gave up the ghost. I was forced to spend my last week here puttering all over the place with my trusty 8 horse Nissan kicker. So there I was with 2 boats, and neither had a working motor. I was due in New Orleans for my grandmother's funeral and I knew when I got back that I'd need a working boat right away. It was quite a quandary. I knew the Merc on the Mudda was going to take more than I had to get fixed, and I didn't hold out much hope that the 'Rude on the Gray Ghost was of any use. I mean an engine fire can be a pretty big deal. Add to it, I couldn't really drop either off at a shop for 6 weeks and expect them to fix either and store them for me.

Enter TMO and fishbobr. Turns out the 'Rude was the same exact model Fish had on his boat, and he knows that baby inside and out. So the day before I left for the Big Easy, I towed the boat up to TMO's shop and left it with him. I really didn't expect what happened next. When they called, I was in Coney Island, NYC. I had just sat down to enjoy my first Nathan's hot dog. So I was already in a good mood. I heard Tom's voice, but wherever he was it was noisy. I asked them what that noise was in the background, and TMO said, "That's your motor running bro!" I almost let out a Rebel Yell when I heard that. Bob got her running sweet for the cost of only a couple of parts. I can't thank the two of you enough for getting me back on the water with a boat that goes faster than a pirogue.

Well guys, the Gray Ghost is a winner. I was finally able to take it out to the camp when I got back in town. I've got to say that it feels good to be running an old Evinrude again after the last 17 years with Mercs. Nothing against Mercs, but there's nothing like the sound of a good old Johhny-Rude. I never expected a 50 horse to be able to move that boat so well, but 007 let me borrow the GPS and she took me to 29mph. That's as fast as I want to go. She's super good on the gas too. She's an older boat, a 1974 Monark. She leaks a little, but I sure do like the semi-v and wide open layout. I wasn't that keen on the side console, but it sure leaves a lot of room for hauling debris, lumber, and equipment. Gotta thank TMO and fishbobr again. It was such a load off my mind to have a running boat.

Of course with each new boat, comes a reckoning. I had originally bought the Gray Ghost because it was such a good deal, I thought if nothing else, I'd make some money on it. Little did I know I would need her. Now I'm left with the question of what to do and which one to keep. I'm so darned attached to the Mudda, I don't want to let her go. She really is the perfect machine for what I do. The front deck and rail are great fishing platforms. She's big and tough too, but with a motor that probably has a scored cylinder, it really makes it a done deal. I can't make any sense of keeping 2 boats this size, and it appears with the motor issue, my decision is made for me, though it still doesn't feel too good.

Looks like I have the first tire kicker coming to look at her this Saturday. Gilbert is interested in her, and I'd like nothing better to have the Mudda in the hands of a friend. She has given me 4 years of boundless pleasure and plenty of hard work. If Gilbert decides against her, I'll be putting her up in the classifieds.

Here are some pics of the Gray Ghost at rest. Above her in a couple pics you'll see the new flag at Blockade Runners. After Glenn passed away we flew the flag he knew at half mast for a month. It is now retired having survived 2 hurricanes, from my old camp in La. to Blockade Runners during Ike. Just as the torch is being passed from the Ugly Mudda to the Gray Ghost, a new flag now replaces the old. Here you'll see a 13 star Confederate national flag, rather than the old 7 star model. All our states are now represented, including Bountyhunter's beloved Virginia.

I've never been very good with change, and I'm what you might call an over-sentimental personality. It's tough when situations make you change, rather than being able to make the call yourself. Hopefully the Gray Ghost and the new flag can fill the very big shoes each of their predecessors have left.

The final pic is an omage' to the Ugly Mudda. I'll miss her greatly when she's gone. Thanks for reading my ramblings, Sandy
    Attached Files
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Good read Sandy, congrats on the new boat. to fishbobr and TMO for all the help they gave you.

Comment

like the new ride sandy
      MANVEL MOB

Comment

Looks like a cajun's dream

Comment

I see that Viginia has now joined the CSA.............was there any doubt!

That is the great thing about memories, you have them for ever and can always make new ones. The past will not be forgotten, and there are many new days to look forward to in a bright future at the last great outpost of the Confederency!!!!

I hope to get down more to lend a hand but it might be spring before I do, as hunting season is upon us and that means making memories at my camp. Good luck to you Sandy, and to all that feel this camp is a little piece of them!
          Pro Staff - Bounty Hunter Turbo Buzz, Creme Lures, New Pro Products, & K9 Fishing Fluorocarbon

Comment

Well, I'll be flattened by a yankee cannon ball. Sandy, I met you at your bayou place when I spied your Rebel flag when I was fishing in my yellow kayak and came over to talk several months ago. Told you about my great grandfather , George Albert Branard, color bearer ,seargent ,1 st TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S BRIGADE, COMPANY L. Has BRANARD street named for him in HOUSTON where I live. Got my anchor hung up in front of your place and you and your pards came over, cut the anchor rope and put a milk jug on it. Did you ever figure out what was down there ? I'm a new member of WEST END ANGLERS and am delighted to be in contact with you. I'm glad things are looking up for you and got your boat fishing worthy. HENRY B BOWMAN,DDS
            GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

good reading. Now pm me your address so I can go kick the tires on both sides.

Comment

Yes Mr. Bowman, I remember that well. The rope is still on a jug. I was going to do something about it, but the jug seems to make people actually slow down when they come up on it, so I was thinking about leaving it there. If we ever get it up, the anchor will get back to you. 007 is the diver in the group , so we have to wait on him.
                From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Good to hear from you, Sandy. I'll check your place whenever I fish that area to see if you are there and say " hello".
                  GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

I guess I should have said, Dr. Bowman. Look forward to seein' you again. - Sandy

Comment

I'm ready to be there now!
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
                      Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Got my anchor hung up in front of your place and you and your pards came over, cut the anchor rope and put a milk jug on it.
                        Hey cool, free yak anchor. Thanks for the info. One lil' freedive away

Comment

Originally posted by plugger View Post
                          Well, I'll be flattened by a yankee cannon ball. Sandy, I met you at your bayou place when I spied your Rebel flag when I was fishing in my yellow kayak and came over to talk several months ago. Told you about my great grandfather , George Albert Branard, color bearer ,seargent ,1 st TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S BRIGADE, COMPANY L. Has BRANARD street named for him in HOUSTON where I live. Got my anchor hung up in front of your place and you and your pards came over, cut the anchor rope and put a milk jug on it. Did you ever figure out what was down there ? I'm a new member of WEST END ANGLERS and am delighted to be in contact with you. I'm glad things are looking up for you and got your boat fishing worthy. HENRY B BOWMAN,DDS
                          sandy show me where it is I'll get it up. DIver down. We dive at five!!
                          Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

There's a Clorox bottle attached to the anchor line. It's just to the left of the dock as you look out from the porch. Can't miss it. I'll miss it when it's gone, I've noticed people being more courteous and slowing down better lately for the most part. Well, except for this one guy today. I can't believe some people sometimes. Look for my upcoming rant.

Comment

Working...
                            X