Rollover Pass Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rollover Pass Article

We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

So the GBF supports closure. I don't really care one way or another-I don't fish there and if closure aids the overall bay system, then I don't really care if they close it. I do know some monster trout are caught in front of it during prime times and I used to go all the way over to that area in the surf to catch nice trout, but the distance and gas are against me doing that the 1 or 2 times I would fish there years ago by boat.
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Rollover Pass Article

Agreed. Its in the middle of nowhere and is a pain to get to. If it helps improve the bay, close it and build a pier on the bayside.

Comment

I have only been there once, last year. It was an "Ok", place to fish from, if you have decent conditions.
        If they are really going to build a 1,000-foot-long T-head pier, along with the other amenities they spoke of,
        then it will be a good thing for the bay.
        "Laissez les bons temps rouler"
        "Leh-seh leh boh taw roo-leh"

Comment

I never fished there before.
          "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

I fish East a lot and frequent that area in my plastic boat. I don't tend to fish the pass itself, I'm always worried about the kids cutting that crap out of themselves on the rusty sheet piling. I've cleaned out a dumpster worth of trash from my launch spot over the years - one trash bag at a time.

I think the GBF is a quality organization and their opinion as expressed in the article is important. They have done an incredible amount of work on the health of the overall bay system. Their view of the facts around closing the pass have merit. Tough to balance recreational, economic and environmental interests but closing the pass and finding a meaningful way to address the lost recreational access seems the best course.
            "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

How far "Back in History" will we allow the GBF and GLO to go? That article left a bad taste in my mouth. For the betterment of the bay? Heck lets everyone fill in their canals! If they are talking about building all of these other opportunities for those people who will be losing their fishing hole, then I say put your money where your mouth is and get it done before you steal the property and shut it down.
              Private Property. Eminent Domain. Land Grab. Sad State of Affairs. Just my $0.02
              TDFT Certified Weighmaster

Comment

Originally posted by FishinAddiction View Post
                How far "Back in History" will we allow the GBF and GLO to go? That article left a bad taste in my mouth. For the betterment of the bay? Heck lets everyone fill in their canals! If they are talking about building all of these other opportunities for those people who will be losing their fishing hole, then I say put your money where your mouth is and get it done before you steal the property and shut it down.
                Private Property. Eminent Domain. Land Grab. Sad State of Affairs. Just my $0.02
                Well Said.
                Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

First place I caught a tag red, would be sad to see Rollover Pass go. I agree w/ these gentlemen ^^^^ here. Lets see what your going to replace it w/ or concrete plans before taking anything away. I'd be more inclined to accept the recommendations of the TPW than some group(s) who would benefit financially from it. Been a recreational area for a long time and would love my kids to be able to take their kids, as I have taken them and their grandfather took me once.
                  "It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

Comment

I read the GLO plan on the state's website. I understand that to obtain the final permit, the 'recreational amenities plan' must be approved too. They will close the pass and build the amenities on the reclaimed land. The most recent plan I saw on the website (December 2011) showed a 2000 foot pier on the Gulf side and the rehabilitation of the Yacht Basin Road boat ramp with pier on the bay side. There may be a more current plan, I will look.

GLO Recreational Amenities Plan

Comment

Here is a recent article from the Crystal Beach News that rebuts the GLO's claims regarding silting, etc. and explains some of the history of the original easement to open the pass. It has a rendering of what the property owner would like to see happen.

Crystal Beach News

Comment

The coastal lands and water surrounding them have long been a source of low cost fishing and recreation for we Texuns, and I am not in favor of allowing the closeure of the pass, make the improvements and put in a long pier to go along with it,Ive always wondered why proper jettying had never been done there,to prevent erosion of the surrounding areas! If done right everyone could benifit as well as the wildlife that visits the area.just my thoughts as I have grown up around the pass!
                        West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Originally posted by FishinAddiction View Post

opening rollover pass was a mistake. Canals are not even the same as a pass. Don't be dumb about it. Private Property? Eminent Domain? Land Grad? The land was given to the COE for the pass. They maintain the pass. They want to close it and give it back to the owners the way it was before it opened. Rollover was a mistake and since they didn't have crystal balls back then to realize they farked up.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilbert View Post
                            opening rollover pass was a mistake. Canals are not even the same as a pass. Don't be dumb about it. Private Property? Eminent Domain? Land Grad? The land was given to the COE for the pass. They maintain the pass. They want to close it and give it back to the owners the way it was before it opened. Rollover was a mistake and since they didn't have crystal balls back then to realize they farked up.

Thanks Gilbert. I wasn't aware that Canals aren't the same as a Pass.
                            TDFT Certified Weighmaster

Comment

Working...
                            X