468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2-speed Outboard? Anybody Seen This Before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2-speed Outboard? Anybody Seen This Before?

So, now that we have our flounder boat in the water, I'v been trying different propellers to find the one that best suits our set-up. In my quest, I ran across a Land & Sea Torque Shift propeller. We ran it a little yesterday, but still need to tweek on it for optimum performance.

It actually changes from a shallow 15" pitch to a much steeper pitch. We were running 7000 rpm wot and when it shifted we dropped to 5000 rpm. It sounded like a transmission shifting gears. We'll be tuning on it more this week. The top end pitch is way too much. It has limitting screws to reduce the pitch after shifting, so we will be adjusting those.

Just wanted to share this find with you. Have any of you tried one before??

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0752.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	574049

Name:	IMAG0749.jpg
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	574050

Name:	IMAG0750.jpg
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	574051
    "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Nope, never even heard of one.
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

My outboard has two speeds too, ON and OFF.

That is a cool concept, how does it know when to shift pitches?

Comment

Very cool. Never heard of them but it makes sense.
        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Be careful, heard of them as well as people over reving their motor and blowing them before it shifts.
          Bryan Evans

Boat Werx of Texas
          (AKA Evans Marine Services)
          4340 19th St.
          Bacliff, Texas 77518
          http://evansmarine.net
          http://boatwerxtx.com
          main@boatwerxtx.com
          281-559-BOAT (2628)

Comment

In the voice of the Comic Book Guy

"Coolest idea EVER."

But can it actually work right?

I've often wondered why marine engines don't have transmissions with more than one gear.
            From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Originally posted by evansmarine View Post
              Be careful, heard of them as well as people over reving their motor and blowing them before it shifts.
              My thoughts exactly, Bryan. Our "top fuel" outboard redlines at 7200 rpm, but hearing it scream at 7000 made me cringe. Being the mechanically inclined person that I am, I am always a little leary of these type gadgets. I'll try it a few more runs, but if it doesn't do what I want, it'll become garage art on my garage wall.

Comment

Airplanes do something similar using oil pressure to vary prop pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by JHardgrave View Post
                  Airplanes do something similar using oil pressure to vary prop pitch.
                  Ya, if it could be controlled that would be optimum. At least on or off.

Comment

I found a video about this prop if it's the same one.
                    Torque Shift Propellers by Land and Sea. Please contact Bob at http://www.torqueshift.aeromarine.com/Worlds Fastest Accelerating Boat Propellers
                    A Little deeper in debt.

Comment

Update: We made a few runs yesterday evening across Clear Lake. I've determined how to make it shift easily. It just has to be a little 'free' near the surface. Once you get on plane, just start raising the jack plate and it shifts when the prop breaks the surface. Easy enough. Setting it to the optimum pitch was easy enough as well. A simple twist or so of the t-handle allen wrench to limit the top end blade pitch. It did make the top speed better than it has been. 51.4 mph.

I like the theory of this prop, but at slower speeds, like in no wake zones, it rattles and makes noises that I associate with mechanical problems. For that reason, it will be removed today and displayed on my garage wall for conversational purposes.

I have a 4 blade, 21" pitch prop that will do the same thing, without all of the nerve racking noises at slow speeds.

Comment

Its a great idea but caution is the word,The shift point needs to be fine tuned also!!
                        West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Darn. Cool idea though.
                          "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

have a customer that is intrested in your prop if you want to sale it.
                            Bryan Evans

Boat Werx of Texas
                            (AKA Evans Marine Services)
                            4340 19th St.
                            Bacliff, Texas 77518
                            http://evansmarine.net
                            http://boatwerxtx.com
                            main@boatwerxtx.com
                            281-559-BOAT (2628)

Comment

Originally posted by evansmarine View Post
                              have a customer that is intrested in your prop if you want to sale it.
                              I'll trade it for a good stainless 4 blade 17" pitch prop

Comment

Working...
                              X