Visiting Anglers Report 4/28-29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting Anglers Report 4/28-29

I'm down from Maryland for work this week and have been driving down to West Bay from Houston area. Your forum has been helpful for a first tie visitor to get some guidance as to the area and where to start. Sunday evening I hit West Bay shoreline behind some homes in Surf Side Beach. Really enjoyed my first outing and was lucky enough to bring in 3 Reds, largest one coming in at 18". A Cordell shallow running fingerling was my successful lure, in pearl color. I finished the night throwing top water against the shoreline, but was no lookers. They seemed to be fixed on chasing bait.

Tonight I tried the dead end at Sportsman Rd that I read about. Fishing here was slow until just before dark. I threw all types of lures and spoons and finally hooked up on a tiger gulp shrimp jigged on an 1/8" head. Picked up two small reds at dark to prevent a skunk. I missed two on a gold Johnson Spoon earlier.

Not sure where I am headed for Tuesday evening, need to do some research. I'm determined to hook up on a gulf speckled trout before heading back to Maryland. Any suggestions of where to try next. These popper corks, is this something worth trying out?

not really necessary to use the cork for trout.. it is helpful sometime but not always. The trout are still on a glass minow bite... but mainly you need to be fishing a little deeper along the mainbay drop off near an oyster reef. Use a small topwater like a super spook jr in bone or bone diamond or a small soft plastic in a bait fish style paddle tail.. match the hatch. perl with chartreuse will work just fine. Find the baitfish on that dropoff and you're likely to get your speck.

you're doing great, keep it up.
    TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

Sounds like you're doing OK to me!
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

My daughter and grandson live in Maryland. Im wanting to go and catch me a Cheaspeake bay trout. Good luck and you will get your trout.
        Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

The only question is . . . . Eastern or Western Maryland? I've gotta figure out if you're a Yankee before I offer any advice.
          From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

C'mon Sandy: Anything North of Centerville is yankee-land.
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

I live in the Central Part of maryland but drive over with the boat to the Eastern Shore. Maryland's eastern shore is awesome place.

So, didnt get out Tuesday night. The darn work thing interfered with client dinners. Got out tonight for what was almost a perfect evening on the water. I waded the shoreline behind the golf course/airport area. I restocked on plastics earlier in the day at Serious Tackle and was amped up to try out my new jigs.

Aside from 1 pull that later got off, nothing! Nada! My first skunk of the week. To make matters worse, i stayed on the water till dark throwin evening thing i had a bunch of tailing reds. From the looks of the tails, these were some nice sized reds but they were not interested in my offering.

Enjoy my final night in town, saw a great sunset and caught some fish this week. Cant beat that!

Thanks for the help, I'm looking forward to my return at the end of the month.

Oh, one last thing, DEFINITLY NOT A YANKEES FAN! Go O's

Comment

He meant Yankee as in "you ain't from 'round here" type of yankee

Comment

try the surf on your return if its flat. it should be on by then. plenty of trout and big ones!
                  the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ757 View Post
                    He meant Yankee as in "you ain't from 'round here" type of yankee
                    haha I draw the line at dallas... Thankx for the awesome report!
                    "Our most great and glorious achievement is to live our life fishingly"

Comment

Working...
                    X