Blockade Runners report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blockade Runners report

Likely you've seen the video and pics that 2112 posted, here's the report to go along with it.

It sure was a great time y'all. 2112 had the whole family out Sat. afternoon. It was a real pleasure to have the kiddo out there and take her for a boat ride. It was nice to meet everyone. They left as his buddies Ronnie and Bruce showed. They fished for a while under the lights with limited success, even with live scrimps. Bert cooked up some steaks and they were goooood and we passed a good time.

Sunday morning TMO arrived and when we got back to the camp from the launch, wlgorman had arrived at the dock as well. Ronnie and Bruce having partied a bit too much, well we just let them sleep as we made a good run at the Ghost Camp. The Gray Ghost proved to be a worthy garbage skow as we piled her high with debris. Thanks to Bert who probably wasn't feeling tops after floundering all night, and Lance for showing up and helping so much. Tom and I sure do appreciate y'all pitching in. We were able to load it all up into Tom's truck without breaking the back window too.

When we got back to the camp, Bert and crew readied for their egress as the temperature began to rise. Tom caught a ride back and Lance and I sat in the shade doing some front porch sitting. He left around 2:30 or so, and I took one of my patented naps. Then I spent a few hours cleaning and organizing some of the things we salvaged from the Ghost Camp. Not to everyone, do not buy or bring out any 2 inch galvanized nails. We have about 30 lbs. of them now.

I finally got out of there at 6:30, but I didn't want to leave. Too bad it wasn't this coming weekend. I'd have another day. Thanks to "Big T", a fellow I met at the ramp who helped me pull the boat out. One thing for sure, it's not as easy to get this boat on the trailer by myself as the Mudda was.

Preliminary plans for this weekend are as follows if anyone wants to take part.

Arrive Saturday around noonish and wait out the heat 'til the afternoon. I plan on staying until Monday afternoon. Depending on who we have and their skills, here are the jobs we have to take care of:

1. We have a door to hang to replace the temporary wall I have up to the missing room. It's just about new and in the case, but a frame need to be built around it. This isn't a top priority, but if you have the skills, please have at it.

2. We also have to get the back porch done. 007 is the only one who knows what is going on with that and I'm a bit flummoxed about where to start. He was working on it with Glenn the last time it was touched. I'm pretty sure we have all the lumber for it. This is a low priority unless 007 is there, then it becomes high, since he knows what he's doing with it.

3. As usual, making a run or 2 at the Ghost Camp is always on the docket. I'd like to make 2 runs this trip. One on Sunday morning after fishing time, but before it gets too hot. The second run could be that afternoon/evening or Monday morning. Hopefully Tom can make it so he can haul a truck load, and I plan to load mine up too. One load would be high priority, and the second or more would be lagniappe.

4. We need someone to come with a BIG DRILL with a half inch bit. We need to drill holes to connect the pilings beneath the camp to the beams just in case we get a good blow. I have the bolts for the job. This is high priority.

So there it is, aside from the roof. If we could get all this done this weekend, or even just 2 things on the list, I'd feel like we're really moving toward our goal. If you can pitch in even for a few hours, every little bit makes a difference. Since it's just me for sure at this early point, we have 2 open beds, a mattress for the floor and a blow up mattress as well if anyone wants to stay the night. Thanks, Sandy
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Ill be out there this wkend, cant say what day yet though. Ill keep you posted

Comment

sounds like a plan we have an annual barbque cookoff to attend, but may be fishing that area sunday and will drop in and say HI!
      MANVEL MOB

Comment

I know it's early to commit. I just thought I'd throw it out so y'all can make your long weekend plans if you're interested in coming.
        From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Originally posted by coachlaw View Post
          Likely you've seen the video and pics that 2112 posted, here's the report to go along with it.

It sure was a great time y'all. 2112 had the whole family out Sat. afternoon. It was a real pleasure to have the kiddo out there and take her for a boat ride. It was nice to meet everyone. They left as his buddies Ronnie and Bruce showed. They fished for a while under the lights with limited success, even with live scrimps. Bert cooked up some steaks and they were goooood and we passed a good time.

Sunday morning TMO arrived and when we got back to the camp from the launch, wlgorman had arrived at the dock as well. Ronnie and Bruce having partied a bit too much, well we just let them sleep as we made a good run at the Ghost Camp. The Gray Ghost proved to be a worthy garbage skow as we piled her high with debris. Thanks to Bert who probably wasn't feeling tops after floundering all night, and Lance for showing up and helping so much. Tom and I sure do appreciate y'all pitching in. We were able to load it all up into Tom's truck without breaking the back window too.

When we got back to the camp, Bert and crew readied for their egress as the temperature began to rise. Tom caught a ride back and Lance and I sat in the shade doing some front porch sitting. He left around 2:30 or so, and I took one of my patented naps. Then I spent a few hours cleaning and organizing some of the things we salvaged from the Ghost Camp. Not to everyone, do not buy or bring out any 2 inch galvanized nails. We have about 30 lbs. of them now.

I finally got out of there at 6:30, but I didn't want to leave. Too bad it wasn't this coming weekend. I'd have another day. Thanks to "Big T", a fellow I met at the ramp who helped me pull the boat out. One thing for sure, it's not as easy to get this boat on the trailer by myself as the Mudda was.

Preliminary plans for this weekend are as follows if anyone wants to take part.

Arrive Saturday around noonish and wait out the heat 'til the afternoon. I plan on staying until Monday afternoon. Depending on who we have and their skills, here are the jobs we have to take care of:

1. We have a door to hang to replace the temporary wall I have up to the missing room. It's just about new and in the case, but a frame need to be built around it. This isn't a top priority, but if you have the skills, please have at it.

2. We also have to get the back porch done. 007 is the only one who knows what is going on with that and I'm a bit flummoxed about where to start. He was working on it with Glenn the last time it was touched. I'm pretty sure we have all the lumber for it. This is a low priority unless 007 is there, then it becomes high, since he knows what he's doing with it.

3. As usual, making a run or 2 at the Ghost Camp is always on the docket. I'd like to make 2 runs this trip. One on Sunday morning after fishing time, but before it gets too hot. The second run could be that afternoon/evening or Monday morning. Hopefully Tom can make it so he can haul a truck load, and I plan to load mine up too. One load would be high priority, and the second or more would be lagniappe.

4. We need someone to come with a BIG DRILL with a half inch bit. We need to drill holes to connect the pilings beneath the camp to the beams just in case we get a good blow. I have the bolts for the job. This is high priority.

So there it is, aside from the roof. If we could get all this done this weekend, or even just 2 things on the list, I'd feel like we're really moving toward our goal. If you can pitch in even for a few hours, every little bit makes a difference. Since it's just me for sure at this early point, we have 2 open beds, a mattress for the floor and a blow up mattress as well if anyone wants to stay the night. Thanks, Sandy
          Use an auger bit if you can. A paddle bit will wear your arse out and dull quickly if you have a lot of pillings to do
          Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

It was a interesting night to say the least.
            I'm working the next 2 weekends in a row.
            Sorry.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
            Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

No reason to say sorry Bert. You did a great job man!

Comment

Sandy, I will come by to help on Sunday.

Does the SLP toll booth charge early in the AM?

Comment

I can't answer that question Man, but I'll reimburse you if they do.

Comment

LOL, that's OK, with the amount of other needless purchases I make I can take the hit. Just wondering out of curiosity since I make that trip a lot, and it might get me up earlier if it saves a few bucks.

Comment

Yan my man, you need to borrow some coin?
                      Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

I'm good... It wouldn't be right since I recently bought a new yak (800), lifetime liscence (1000), and payed for tickets and random stuff in Hawaii and Mexico in the last month (why does everyone plan trips at the same time!)...

Ike repairs drained my savings and this last month finished them off. Still need to buy duck decoys, a few calls, and camo for the kayak!

I've got money that I put in investments a while back that I didn't want to touch, but I'm going to now. Figure better to enjoy it while I'm young, right?

You're not coming to BR this weekend are you Bert?

Comment

Bert posted earlier that he had to work this coming weekend and the next.

Comment

If you make the toll booth before 6 am it's free.
                            I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                              If you make the toll booth before 6 am it's free.
                              I just called you Yan but I know it's late.
                              The dupont crew and I are surf fishing SLP right now.
                              We used a red fish tag and have had two more screaming runs.
                              This is a great night if some locals read this and want a meet and great.
                              Look for the two Z71's and my tundra. All are white trucks.
                              Time is 9:35p

Comment

Working...
                              X