Just joined forum, planning first kayaking trip to West Galveston Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just joined forum, planning first kayaking trip to West Galveston Bay

I am new to the forum and am planning a kayak fishing trip wit a buddy down to West Galveston Bay, and was wondering if anyone could give me some tips of where to put in, where they're hitting right now or just general knowledge of the place to help me with my first trip.

I appreciate any info!
    Tight Lines,
    Peter Stahl

Welcome Peter. I am new also but don't kayak. There is also a kayak forum located on the home page. They can help you.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I posted in that forum as well. Hope to get some good info so I'm not totally clueless this weekend, trying to show my buddy a good time on the water.
      Tight Lines,
      Peter Stahl

Comment

Holiday weekend it's going to be packed on the water. Make sure y'all wear your life vests and have visible gear on. There are enough idiots on the water on a normal weekend, this will be worse. Good luck with the fish, this boat activity will probably mess them up. I'd concentrate on spots where the booze cruisers and frat daddies won't be... like back water marshes. Good luck. Check on TKF, they talk about a lot of Galveston locations there.

Comment

Welcome aboard.
          Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

I second what mr potlicker said... I'll be tucked way back in the marsh somewhere, or fishing the lights all night. Good luck, and look for water with plenty of bait in it.
            Tight Lines

Comment

Just joined forum, planning first kayaking trip to West Galveston Bay

Originally posted by Mini-x Fan View Post
              I second what mr potlicker said... I'll be tucked way back in the marsh somewhere, or fishing the lights all night. Good luck, and look for water with plenty of bait in it.
              I second what mini-x said, but make sure to follow him! He's catching big ones! Lol!
              Actually, both his suggestions are great. I'd work the north shore of the island. Depending where you put in you can reach a bunch of good spots.
              Pull up google maps and scan for reefs and guts. That'll give you a good starting point.
              Good luck and watch out for zanies.
              "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

dont leave without a Spoon!
                "Our most great and glorious achievement is to live our life fishingly"

Comment

Welcome and I send a ton of money every month on one of my bills down to college-station.
                  Good Luck, ill be there in about a week.

Comment

Welcome
                    A Little deeper in debt.

Comment

i'm not going to leave the house this weekend. drunks ,cops and idiots on the roads and water. good luck!
                      the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Re: Just joined forum, planning first kayaking trip to West Galveston Bay

Originally posted by SUPER SPOOK View Post
                        i'm not going to leave the house this weekend. drunks ,cops and idiots on the roads and water. good luck!
                        I heard you were the one that was going to take me to the emergency room this weekend.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
                        I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Re: Just joined forum, planning first kayaking trip to West Galveston Bay

Welcome

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Try 8 mile rd. you can put your yak on the right side at the end of the road. There is also a ramp on the left side. If u go about 1/4 mile on your right, u have sweetwater cove. Before u go into the cove, there is shell. U can see it as u approve it. It's all saltwater. Hope this helps. Lord Bless.
                            robert
                            And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

You can launch from Galveston Island State Park it's 5 bucks a person, but it's a nice launching point and you don't have to worry about your vehicle getting vandalized. San Luis Pass is also another option, if you have a 4-wheel drive vehicle take the dirt road just before the toll booth and take a right and drive until you hit the bay. Those flats are very productive this time of year. Watch out for sharks though, they are known to hang around there as well.
                              Son of the Republic

Comment

Working...
                              X