468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it legal to use trotline for blue crab in Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it legal to use trotline for blue crab in Texas?

Is it legal to use trotline crabbing in Texas? I've been research on the Texas Park & Wildlife website but no info mention any thing about the trotline crabbing. Does anyone know any thing about it? If it is legal then have anyone tried this crabbing method in Galveston? Thanks and Happy Memorial day to Y'all.

Originally posted by Krazichink View Post
    Is it legal to use trotline crabbing in Texas? I've been research on the Texas Park & Wildlife website but no info mention any thing about the trotline crabbing. Does anyone know any thing about it? If it is legal then have anyone tried this crabbing method in Galveston? Thanks and Happy Memorial day to Y'all.
    Call local GW and ask.

You are allowed to crab using a chicken and string but not sure if you are allowed multiple drops, I always use traps. Why not buy a crab pot?
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Trot lines are not legal in saltwater.
      VHF 16/68

Comment

Originally posted by Diablosandwich View Post
        Trot lines are not legal in saltwater.
        Incorrect

Trotlines In Salt Water
        No more than 1 trotline may be used per fisherman.
        Tag Requirements:
        Must have a valid Saltwater Trotline Tag attached to each 300 feet of mainline or fraction thereof. (Tag must be purchased at TPWD Law Enforcement offices.)
        Must be used with a valid GEAR TAG attached within 3 feet of the first hook at each end of the trotline. Tag does not need to be dated.
        Construction and Design Restrictions:
        Must be marked with a yellow floating buoy not less than 6 inches in height, 6 inches in length, and 6 inches in width, bearing a two-inch wide stripe of contrasting color, attached to end fixtures.
        Buoys or floats may not be made of plastic bottle(s) of any color or size.
        May not be baited with other than natural bait. Natural bait is a whole or cut-up portion of a fish or shellfish or a whole or cut-up portion of plant material in its natural state, provided that none of these may be altered beyond cutting into portions.
        May not be used with hooks other than circle-type hook with point curved in and having a gap (distance from point to shank) of no more than one-half inch, and with the diameter of the circle not less than five-eighths inch (comparable to Mustad 11/0 circle hook Model #39960ST).
        Placement and Location Restrictions:
        May not be used in or on the waters of the Gulf of Mexico within the jurisdiction of this state.
        May not be placed closer than 50 feet from any other trotline, or set within 200 feet of the edge of the Intracoastal Waterway or its tributary channels.
        May not be used in Aransas County in Little Bay and the water area of Aransas Bay within one-half mile of a line from Hail Point on the Lamar Peninsula, then direct to the eastern end of Goose Island, then along the southern shore of Goose Island, then along the causeway between Lamar Peninsula and Live Oak Peninsula, then along the eastern shoreline of the Live Oak Peninsula past the town of Fulton, past Nine-Mile Point, past the town of Rockport to a point at the east end of Talley Island, including that part of Copano Bay within 1,000 feet of the causeway between Lamar Peninsula and Live Oak Peninsula.
        No trotline or trotline components (EXCEPT Sail Lines), including lines and hooks, but excluding poles, may be left in or on coastal waters between the hours of 1 p.m. on Friday through 1 p.m. on Sunday of each week, except that attended sail lines are excluded from the restrictions imposed by this clause. In the event small craft advisories or higher marine weather advisories issued by the National Weather Service are in place at 8 a.m. on Friday, trotlines may remain in the water until 6 p.m. on Friday. If small craft advisories are in place at 1 p.m. on Friday, trotlines may remain in the water until Saturday. When small craft advisories are lifted by 8 a.m. on Saturday, trotlines must be removed by 6 p.m. on Saturday. When small craft advisories or higher marine weather advisories are still in place at 1 p.m. on Saturday, trotlines may remain in the water through 1 p.m. on Sunday. It is a violation to tend, bait, or harvest fish or any other aquatic life from trotlines during the period that trotline removal requirements are suspended under this provision for adverse weather conditions. For purposes of enforcement, the geographic area customarily covered by marine weather advisories will be delineated by department policy.

Yeah, and all the muchachas they call me big pappa, when I throw pesos their way!

Comment

I would imagine using a trot line for crabs would be kinda difficult. Traps are fairly cheap at academy and are easy to use.
          Yeah, and all the muchachas they call me big pappa, when I throw pesos their way!

Comment

ive used a trot line on a river, but a bay for crabs? that just doesnt make sence to me, your trying to hook a crab? ..... using a trot line..... that seems incorrect..?

#crabtraps
            FPIII

Salt Water Fishn Is My Heritage

Comment

Using a trot line for crabs is actually pretty common. I think they call it a snood line back east. If you are going to set your line, run it and roll it back in, you can probably run quite a bit more bait than running pots or traps. http://youtu.be/zLSF2jvjb7Q
              "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Don't think the trot line for crabs is illegal. You don't have a hook, just a bait on a line. Done it wading, but not out of a boat. Seems it would be hard not to shake them off while netting other crabs. just a lot more bait then in a trap. Just to make sure, look in TPDW book.

Comment

Working...
                X