Labor day weekend at Blockade Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labor day weekend at Blockade Runners

I headed out MUCH later than I was supposed to on Saturday due to . . . . well, a lot of folks not calling me back. I got there around 4pm and got some things done around the camp. I settled on the dock right before sunset, caught a couple 15 inch reds, then started whacking the mangrove snapper around the pilings. Then the hook in the neck incident occurred. You've all seen that story I assume. I celebrated the successful surgery by hanging out on the porch and just enjoying the place in solitude.

Sunday morning, still worried about where the heck everyone was and who was coming out, I enjoyed a wonderful rain storm while building 12 volt lights and reading a book. Milkjug called around 10am or so and said he was coming out. I was stoked that I'd have a little help, but without my generator, I knew we couldn't get that much done. So I told him he could just come out, but we'd have to forego a run at the Ghost Camp due to no power. He said he'd come just to hang out anyway.

Well, when he arrived he just wasn't going to be put off like that. He talked me into hitting the Ghost Camp for a run, and so we did. He climbed right up and went off on the place. It was tough keeping up with him for a while. Without a saw working he was still able to get any and everything that was crow-bar-able off of there, and just by himself he made about a half of a boat load. We headed in and unloaded into my truck before heading back to the camp for some grub and well deserved front porch sittin'. Heck, he came to work AND he brought food too! After getting dinner set up, his buddy Alex arrived at the ramp and I went to pick him up. We had a good old time over chicken wings and hot dogs.

Major thanks to Yan for busting hump and providing grub too. I bussed them back to the ramp around 10pm. It was such a serene night out there. The water in the pass was like glass. I puttered back to the camp after goodbyes and enjoyed some more solitude. Just as the night before, I had one of those sleeps that you can only have out there.

Monday morning I awoke knowing I had some reinforcements coming and they were bringing my generator. Well, it seems the generator wasn't where it was supposed to be and we're still trying to figure that one out. But TMO and his buddy Scott showed around 1pm and I picked them up at the ramp. As an answer to the request for photographic evidence of post-Ike coyotes on Mud Island, we saw a young one just on the banks of Titlum-Tatlum. He was chasing all manner of birds and not having much luck. Scott was able to get a shot of him as he blended back into the marsh.

Again without a gen, I considered what to do. Milkjug had gotten almost everything possible out of the Ghost Camp that could be gotten without a saw. We agreed that it wouldn't have made a productive trip. So Tom and Scott went after all the remaining Ike debris beneath the camp. We got it all out of there and stacked a bunch of lumber smartly. The state should be pleased with that progress for sure. We took breaks from the heat now and then to enjoy the place. Cleaned up and headed out at 5pm.

Despite all the stumbling blocks to productivity, we did get a bunch done. Thanks to Yan, Tom, and Scott for working hard. Every trip makes a difference and gets us closer to the goal.

A few pics from the weekend before, as well as Labor Day weekend. The first 2 are Lance, Bert, and Tom weekend before last. Then this past weekend Yan at the Ghost Camp bashing things up.
    Attached Files
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Last couple. Tom cleaning up and Scott stacking lumber lookin' like he enjoys it.
    Attached Files
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Well

I tried to post the coyote pic, but it no workie. ???

Comment

user error...
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

The pic is too big, so I tried resizing it and it keeps telling me a write error has occurred.

But yes, most likely user error.

Comment

I had a good time Sandy, thanks for having me back out there.

Comment

Further testimony to the coyote mystery...

I saw one over a month ago, a TINY one, real young. I was on the ICW heading from the Crabbing Pier Ramp in Freeport to Nicks Lake, it was on the island that is between the N side of Drum Bay and the ICW. I see them all the time out there

Comment

You know those yote's have to be hungry, almost makes you want to feed 'em
                but that would be bad too, oh well.
                Coyote guard dogs!
                The ghost camp is looking better all the time.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
                Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

We'll get the back porch finished up this weekend and make sure the back side facia boards are put up and ready to go for the roof.
                  I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

I see that one lone window is still in the ghost camp!!! that window is IN THERE!! lol
                    MANVEL MOB

Comment

Yep, Lance and Yan both hacked at the window with little success. A saw will do it.

Not sure what this weekend holds. It's getting to the point where I'm just going to have to watch the weather.

Comment

Ill be out there rain or shine chasing rice rockets in the early morning. Give me a call if you're gonna be out there maybe we can grill some up if I have any luck...

Comment

Wow, fresh teal on the grill. Sounds great!

At this point, it is a go for Saturday around noonish. I have to keep checking the weather though.

Comment

Originally posted by coachlaw View Post
                            Yep, Lance and Yan both hacked at the window with little success. A saw will do it.

Not sure what this weekend holds. It's getting to the point where I'm just going to have to watch the weather.
                            or an axe!!!!
                            MANVEL MOB

Comment

Working...
                            X