468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floundering trip from Hitchcock 2nd Street...questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floundering trip from Hitchcock 2nd Street...questions...

We are thinking of taking the flounder boat out this weekend. I've been told that the ramp at 2nd street in Hitchcock is a good place to launch from, but I don't have any experience launching from there.

Is the diversionary canal navigable all the way to the bay?

Are there any low bridges(under 8') that I won't be able to go under?

What is a prime floundering location along the canal?

As always, any information is appreciated!!!
    "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

It is a decent ramp except during extremely low tides. There are no low bridges. I would try along the banks out towards the mouth. If you are going to run into the bay there is a specific way you need to do it because the water is pretty shallow at the mouth of the canal -- exit the mouth and turn south (right) and aim for the big PVC pole you see straight ahead - keep running straight past it until you reach the intracoastal. There are oyster reefs on both sides or the cut. I would not recommend doing it for the first time at night.
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like I should just launch at the ramp near Fat Boys...

Comment

The flounder are thick in the diversionary right now if you know where to look.... just saying....I've seen people gigging past the harbor walk bridge. I've personally never tried it, just rod and reel- my only worry would be the water clarity. The canal is free from navigational hazards and would be fine to run at night, just don't try to leave the canal at night if you haven't done it before.
        Nothin' but hardheads.....

Comment

Waste of time. Nfidc

Comment

Good luck on your first trip.

Comment

i love the diversanary ! good luck.... Pre run during the day to check your rout !
              FPIII

Salt Water Fishn Is My Heritage

Comment

Originally posted by Root Canal View Post
                Good luck on your first trip.
                Keep trying!
                "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

This isn't my first trip, just the first time from the 2nd street launch. We floundered around West Bay's south shore line a few weeks ago. I've heard tell the diversionary canal can produce some nice flounder...if you know where to go...We will be launching a couple of hours before dark to scout the areas.

Comment

Working...
                  X