Popping cork question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popping cork question?

I normally rig a popping cork with jig head and Gulp, however, I'm taking my 6 and 3 year olds and want to use live shrimp this time. What's the best way to hook the shrimp without them tearing off when I pop the cork?

Thanks

Behind the horn with #6 treble hook. Been a long time but that's how I used to do it.

Comment

Hook them under the horn but try and avoid the black speck (i think its the brain) try not to pinch so hard when you hook them. Under the horn and let them fly!

Good luck,
      Russ

Comment

I usually use a #8 or #6 treble hook and hook the shrimp just under the horn on the top of it's head in front of the dark spot (brain). If you use a single hook, insert the point under the head and bring the point up and out the top of the head on either side of the horn in front of the dark spot. The shrimp can also be fished free line single hook and it will ride in the water up right.

Comment

I would advise you to use a single hook. Use a smaller hook, a size 1/0 or so.
          Little ones and treble hooks are asking for trouble.
          Not quite as bad as leaving Robalo in a wine cellar but close.

Hook the shrimp along the top edge of the horn between the two dark spots.
          West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Circle hooks!!!

Circle hooks are much safer to use around small children. You can also use this as a conservation teachable moment with the kiddos. Circle hooks are designed to hook a fish in the corner of the mouth. Trebbles can get too deep to safely remove if you catch an undersized fish. Since switching to circle hooks under our corks, we haven't harmed a single fish in years. We have pissed a lot of them off and then released them.

Comment

Great advise B37! X2
                Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
                "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

Not according to my expert snook catching guides down here at Port Isabel by Mexico. Use a treble hook with the barbs mashed down - we release most snook and treble hooks are dangerous. We use broke-in trebles with the barb crushed down and slightly dull so they aren't razor sharp.

Get the biggest, fattest jumbo shrimp you can find - that's what we use for big game and they're worth the money instead of a bunch of mediums. Hook them in the back in the section just above the tail where his pooper is. When a shrimp snaps or "pops" they actually are going backwards, instead of slowly swimming forward.

Now we freeline those bigg'uns in deeper water, no weights or corks, but with kids (or lazy man's way) you need a popping cork. Works great! A shrimp impaled by the tail lasts a lot longer. When you run a hook through the head or "horn" you let out all the juices from both its brain and its heart. Try it sometime. As the local shrimp peeps when they get a load and if you can get some larges ones. I would rather burn ten large ones and go on plastics than feed the pinfish small, half-dead shrimp all day.

Comment

6 year olds, 3 year olds and treble hooks? Bad combination!

Comment

Second that!

Originally posted by Moonpie View Post
                      I would advise you to use a single hook. Use a smaller hook, a size 1/0 or so.
                      Little ones and treble hooks are asking for trouble.
                      Not quite as bad as leaving Robalo in a wine cellar but close.

Hook the shrimp along the top edge of the horn between the two dark spots.
                      LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Thanks for all the replys, I'll use the circle hooks for safety, conservation, and easier for the little guys to set the hook. Looking forward to fishing with the boys. This will be the first trip on my new JH B240.

Comment

Popping cork question?

Originally posted by Dondo View Post
                          Thanks for all the replys, I'll use the circle hooks for safety, conservation, and easier for the little guys to set the hook. Looking forward to fishing with the boys. This will be the first trip on my new JH B240.
                          Good luck with the kiddos!

Post some pics of the new JH

Comment

Will do.

Comment

GOOD FOR YOU . SOME OF MY BEST TIMES WERE FISHING WITH MY CHILDREN WHEN THEY WERE LITTLE . BUT REMEMBER TO BRING LOTS OF THEIR FAVORITE DRINKS , JUICE , AND FOOD , SNACKS . THEY DO AS MUCH EATING AND DRINKING AS FISHING . BUT THAT'S PART OF THE FUN .
                              GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Working...
                              X