No announcement yet.

Flounder Restocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I won't be able to make it. I have to work the night shifts, Friday thru Monday nights that weekend. All the good stuff happens it seems when I have to work. Try to get a group shot with C. Moore if you can.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
    Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

I was thinking about netting some flounder the night before too.

I am worried about mortality from keeping them in a big bin all night and morning.

Here's what I am thinking of trying...

Get to the gigging spot with some daylight to spare. Take a couple dozen stakes and plenty of constuction netting (easy to find from Ike junkpiles). Stake out a big "flounder pen" in an area that will have enough water not to leave them dry when the tide lowers. Make sure the netting is partially buried too.

Go around netting flounder with one of those rubber nets to keep their slime on, transfer to pen. Remain near pen all night sitting in rocking chair, drinking natural light, and caressing 12ga to keep other giggers out.

Next morning transfer flatfish to large rubbermaid tub / cooler with aeration and a few ziplocks with ice in a seperate cooler to keep it from getting too hot. Bring to the event.

Hey now this has gotten me thinking. I could open the first "high fence gigging ranch". Focusing on trophy genetics of course, and nearly guarenteed successful gigging trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
        I was thinking about netting some flounder the night before too.

I am worried about mortality from keeping them in a big bin all night and morning.

Here's what I am thinking of trying...

Get to the gigging spot with some daylight to spare. Take a couple dozen stakes and plenty of constuction netting (easy to find from Ike junkpiles). Stake out a big "flounder pen" in an area that will have enough water not to leave them dry when the tide lowers. Make sure the netting is partially buried too.

Go around netting flounder with one of those rubber nets to keep their slime on, transfer to pen. Remain near pen all night sitting in rocking chair, drinking natural light, and caressing 12ga to keep other giggers out.

Next morning transfer flatfish to large rubbermaid tub / cooler with aeration and a few ziplocks with ice in a seperate cooler to keep it from getting too hot. Bring to the event.

Hey now this has gotten me thinking. I could open the first "high fence gigging ranch". Focusing on trophy genetics of course, and nearly guarenteed successful gigging trip.

Excellent idea with the flounder pen, this could easily work as long as we give them good amount of room... The fastest way to trasport them would be by boat. We'd need cooperation from some guys to run the flounder back to the storage tank at Lutes from SLP if that's where we setup the pen...
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I listed the event flyer on the Chocolate bay forum
          FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Yeah a boat ride would save them a long ride in the truck. Would make it even easier to do water replacements, if it takes that long.

Mabey we can get a few people together and round up a dozen or so before the event even starts

Will we get the permits to take undersized ones like they have done before?

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post

Will we get the permits to take undersized ones like they have done before?
              I will have a permit, but it is only good for me.....

I plan on fishing the SLP bridge that morning, so we should get a group together.....I will have two 162qt cooler with O2 on them......

I will be using a do-net....so they will not be strung.....

If someone catches a small one it would need to be thrown in my do-net right away.....
              FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

If Milk's plan works, we'll be right around the corner from you skipp...

We might need your help transporting ours that will be in the pen to the trucks up Chocolate (assuming I don't have a rig by then)
                We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Working...
                X