tough logistics decision, need y'alls help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tough logistics decision, need y'alls help

I've been doing my research, and it looks like there are two options for me tomorrow. I've never been in the surf before with a fishing pole in hand, and it's tempting to give her a try tomorrow. Best guess from the reading and looking Ive done is that it'll be pretty flat, but maybe dirty.

Option 2 is hit the swan lake boat ramp outta surfside and fish the stuff back there, haven't been there in a few months.

I was thinking of hooking the boat up, driving down with the intention of trying the surf, and if I don't like it, head to swan lake ramp, but I've also never driven on the beach. I've got 4x4, but I have a feeling that a boat trailer has no business on the sand. I'm a mud guy, this sand stuff is new territory. Would I be an idiot to unhook my flatbottom and leave it somewhere near a beach access to try the surf?

I just dont' want to drive all the way down to surfside, hit the beach, decide it's not happening for me, and not have a backup plan.

I wouldn't leave my boat unattended anywhere. I understand you're dilemma though.
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

I would watch the birds working the surf early, great place to surf fish, the car bodies next to Treasure Island, but you need to go down the road toward Surfside to turn in and then drive the beach back toward San Luis, I have been stuck out there with no boat, iffy with boat. But there are lots of other places on West End and Freeport side, watch what the birds are doing they will tell you if there is anything in the surf.

Comment

I would be concerned about towing a boat on the beach . Depends on the weight . It would not be fun to get stuck , not be able to turn around if the beach is narrow . I would commit to one option and not look back . Don't take a diesel on the beach even 4 wheel . Too heavy and the soft sand can trap you . The beach water at 3:30 pm today had some green , 2 foot waves at sea isle . It got better as I went west from 61st street . Surf side will probably be better still . With light west wind , the east side of the jetty surf might be best . Couldn't you park your truck/ boat in the parking lot at surf side jetty and walk to the surf and then have the boat option still available ?
        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Originally posted by plugger View Post
          Couldn't you park your truck/ boat in the parking lot at surf side jetty and walk to the surf and then have the boat option still available ?
          I guess that's part of my question. I've got the jones/tiki/ causeway area under my belt, as well as sea isle, and the nicks/salt/lake/drum bay area. Anything else is all new territory for me, haven't even driven the area.

I'm leaning towards just nutting up and committing to the surf, but gosh I'd hate that hour and a half drive back if it didn't pan out.

Comment

Does the forecast down there look that good for the surf tomorrow? From what I'm seeing its gonna be torn up down my way. I'm not even gonna bother with it.
            Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Detailed Surf Forecast and Surf Report for Surfside, Texas including top quality forecast resources.

Looks decent to me, but like I said, I'm a newbie on this stuff.

Comment

Glad I went with it and did surf!!! Came home with 6 keepers, and probably caught 15 short fish. Had a blast.

Comment

Awesome! Glad you made a good call! I actually ended up in the surf this morning as well. I didn't do quite as well as you but I had a good time too.
                  Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

I copied this from 2cool - KSK posted this today - I think you should have no problem getting on the beach near this location.

I usually do not fish on weekends but a friend called Friday night and said get my butt to surfside in the morning.I threw silver spoons[white bucktails,black bucktails,red buck tails] and it did not matter what color buck tail.I kept three for supper tonight,17-20 inches and released another 30 +,13-22 inches.My friend did the same throwing tops and jigs.Neither one of us can go for a while,so I will tell you where we were.Turn in at the Condos and go right 7 telephone poles.You will see two guys camping out.Wade in right beside them and throw over their lines as many times that you can.Tell them the two'' old sob's'' that you waded up against the day before,said hi.lol

Comment

I thought about you this morning when I was in the surf near SLP . I was wondering what you decided . It was a rare ice cream condition . I should have been in your spot though as no catching was done where I was . I'm glad you had a good time and got some fish !
                      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Working...
                      X