Will this popping cork setup work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this popping cork setup work?

I usually fish the bays with limited success. I have a ton of leaders and Im trying to simplify. My setup is a 5500 Abu Reel, 15lb monofilament. I was thinking I would put about 3 feet of 20lb mono on the end as shock leader and use that as the popping cork setup. After its tied on, I was thinking of putting a hook on the end of the 20lb mono, a couple of split shots up a few inches, then put my split popping cork on wherever, I can adjust as needed.

Is this kosher for bay fishing or not the preferred method? I would be using live shrimp or penny gulps on a jig head. Just didnt know if I should do that or put a short steel leader on for teeth.

Been a lot of fish caught doing just what you've described.
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

OK....cool. Just wasnt sure if 20lb was going to cut it for leader with teeth..lol.

Ive failed to catch many fish, and when I started a long time ago, I bought a lot of stuff. Then over the years, seeing GUIDES use bare minimum and load up the boat, I just kind of figured I was over engineering.

Thanks!

Comment

I caught many a trout with that rig. If they aren't hitting the cork, dab on another split shot and let him do his thing near the bottom. You can also take the shot off and totally free line it. Depends a bit on the current, water depth, and such.

Good luck.
        "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Or you could use a weighted cork and leave the split shot off to give the shrimp a chance to move around.

Comment

Good advice from all these guys. I wouldn't waste your time on the steel leader unless you're looking for spanish mackerel or sharks.
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Only change I would suggest is to use FLUOROCARBON for your leader. Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
              X