boat mechanic recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boat mechanic recommendation?

Hello! Another question for you folks....we just brought our boat down to Pirate's Cove. It's an '04 Polar bay boat, center console, that we just bought. Our first boat, so we have lots to learn! We took it out last weekend and had some issues with the oil warning beeps. Seems like we have a slight oil leak or a problem with an oil valve. The boat is on a lift at my sister's bay house. We had to rent a truck to get the boat down to Galveston, so we really don't have an easy way to pull the boat out and take it to a mechanic. Do any of you know of a good boat mechanic who will come to the house to work on the boat in the boat slip? or is there a boat mechanic on the water somewhere that we could drive the boat to without pulling it out of the water?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Yes, Mike Stevenson..I dont have the number on me but I'll try and post it up later when I get home. I think JT might now it. He lives in Sea Isle.

Comment

I'd give you his number but Im afraid he'd send me a bill for it. I think Aqua Pimp may have it though.

Comment

Yea right!!!!! I do know he did one he!! of a lube job on JT though . After that $300 bill I got he won't ever hear from me again. TTU Wader, that was my bill on that water rescue he did on us last year LOL

AQUA PIMP
        AQUA PIMP......
        "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

I would check your sending unit in the oil tank............it might be stuck.
          I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Mike's cell: 409-454-8067, home/wife's cell: 832-657-6564.

Mike has worked on our 22ft HydraSport w/ 200hp Johnson. He does good work and is usually spot on with his estimates. Sometimes they do seem high, but he will come to your house, and if he can't fix it there, he will load it up on a trailer for you and take it to his shop. He often does take longer than you'd expect, but that's my experience with ALL mechanics, boat and otherwise. Mike also lives and has his shop in Sea Isle so, often times, he can come take a quick look, apply some mechanic's touch and get you going pretty quickly, and he will show you what he did and the problem in an effort to help educate you in his repair process.

Another guy you can call is Joe Armentrout, cell 409-682-6371, hm. 409-737-1738. He to will come out as well. I have heard good things about Joe but he looked at our first motor on the aforementioned boat and failed to catch that a head was leaking water into the cylinder and it subsequently seized up the piston and bent the rod, causing us to need to either a, replace that power head, or replace the motor. We opted for the latter. However, some have told me this problem could have been minute and hard to discover until the leak was so bad, it caused the problem. But, two mechanics agreed that the apparent corrosion on the screws and spark plug (not inspected thoroughly until after the issue was discovered) should have clued him into looking over the motor more carefully. He did not "guarantee" the motor nor did he ever make us go on and pay for the diagnostic and preliminary inspection before purchase.

As you might expect, this rubbed me the wrong way and we do not use Joe.

IMO, use the mechanic that seems to get you. Call all that you get numbers for and chat with them. They all know they are not the only ones and could care less if you use someone else. But.....never tell them you are considering others in case you need to go back to them for some reason. Just call, give a brief description of the problem and see what each has to say and go what you feel is the best "fit". If later down the road you go with another one, you don't want him to remember you as the guy that thought he was second-rate and have him then treat you that way.

Keeping all numbers for mechanics in your area is useful to call on them when you are stranded out on the water before seeking a tow.

Comment

thanks!

Wow....such a great response to our posts! We're really glad we found this site. We're looking forward to learning a lot from you folks.

Thanks!

Comment

Mike Stevenson does all the work on our boat. The prices are better than hauling it to Ron Hoover Service Dept. I know my husband has been happy with his work. Just sayin'

MrsSunsoaker

Comment

Mike Stevenson does all the work on our boat. The prices are better than hauling it to Ron Hoover Service Dept. I know my husband has been happy with his work. Just sayin'

(boosting rep power here)

MrsSunsoaker

Comment

Working...
                  X