Sad sight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad sight

I went to Sheldon reservoir before heading to lake houston just to see if it was fishable and this is what I ran into.

It is completely chocked out. Maybe an opening the size of an Olympic swimming pool and that's it.
    Son of the Republic

Went last Sunday and looked the same. Still scratched out two large mouth around 3 lbs
    if i dnt catch dinner, i will catch a buzz. it works out!

Comment

Looks like easy pickings with a seine net!!
      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

That looks like fun! The Gator-Tail will make a path.
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
          Looks like easy pickings with a seine net!!
          Only an Old Poacher would know that trick. LOL
          West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

I aint that Old Moonpie!!! Like my doc said once, "Your 40 and an alcoholic?" I responded "No I'm 35." but that was 20 years ago-burp.
            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I probably should have went after the bass in Sheldon, but my goal was to find the crappie on the south end of Lake Houston. Didn't find the crappie, but found out where the channel kittens were sitting today.

I built a spider rigging setup for my kayak and tried it out for the first time today and it works great except for when the fish pulls away from the rod. I had a fish pull my FTU titanium eyed rod with a Shimano Curado into the water. Thankfully I had all my other rods set deep and acted quick enough to swing the boat that I ended up getting back.

Best thing I caught all day.

Son of the Republic

Comment

Good catching on your r&r. You think all the growth will die out this winter for the Crappie??

Comment

That Asian stuff is taking over . Then there's the prolific Asian snail ....tiger snail ?
                  GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

I wouldn't mind some zebra mussels, over the giant salvinia. Root Canal I talked to one of the park rangers at the state park and he said it normally dies off quickly once the temperature starts to drop.
                    Son of the Republic

Comment

Giant Salvania is the worst thing to hit our waters. I've seen it in the Trinity River and on Lake Caddo in NE Texas it's wiping out the entire lake.

Comment

We sure could use some steady Hydration to help get water levels up to what they need to be! We'll just have to wait and hope! Is the Giant Saldania the problem or low water too? thanks for sharin DIA!
                        West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Originally posted by Rollo View Post
                          We sure could use some steady Hydration to help get water levels up to what they need to be! We'll just have to wait and hope! Is the Giant Saldania the problem or low water too? thanks for sharin DIA!
                          Giant Salvania in perfect conditions can grow an acre per week. It's chokes out the light and causes plant matter to die below and oxygen levels drop causing life to cease. There is only one natural enemy to the Giant Salvania plant... It's a weevil. The best way to eradicate the plant is to remove it from the water and let it dry out. Which is not possible on lakes like Caddo that are protected by Cypress stumps and knees not allowing you to skim the water etc. The water weight alone in the plant is crazy. Here's a video of it on Lake Caddo...

[cc] Invasive plants like giant salvinia are threatening native plants that provide food and habitat for Texas wildlife. Are you unknowingly aiding the attac...

Remember to wash your boat trailers. Giant Salvania I am told can live for almost a week out of water between your boat and bunk boards. It can be transported when you put the boat back on the trailer etc and then infest another lake if you launch.

Saltwater kills Giant Salvania.

Comment

Originally posted by D-I-A View Post
                            I wouldn't mind some zebra mussels, over the giant salvinia. Root Canal I talked to one of the park rangers at the state park and he said it normally dies off quickly once the temperature starts to drop.
                            That's good news about the plants. My crappie fishing was poor to say the least last year. It was my first time trying and got
                            started to late.
                            Thanks Coe about the reminder to check your trailer.

Comment

Not so new for Sheldon. I fish it occasionally - but in March and April and May. For the past 4 or 5 years the salvinia has taken over by mid-June, and it stays that way until around the first of December. Sad what this stuff does, and it is deteriorating Sheldon horribly.

Sad loss, because Sheldon was a beautiful place to fish. Especially if you like hanging out with gators.

Walker

Anegada, BVI (N18° 44.683' W64° 24.133')
                              and
                              Houston (Clear Lake City)

Comment

Working...
                              X