Air Boat Legality Question: Running on islands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Boat Legality Question: Running on islands

Ok, I don't want to make this a big deal, but I've seen several air boats out around SLP. I've seen all of them running over Mud Island and Moody's Island. I know that in Louisiana, it's illegal for them to run over marsh, because it kills the fragile marsh grass. Sooooo, does anyone know if it's legal to do it here? I'm not going to call the warden, but I will tell the offenders if I am sure it's illegal. What say y'all?

BTW: Yes, they are noisy and annoying, but they have the right to be on the water just like other boats. I don't have a problem with them in the water. I am worried about them on the marsh though. - Sandy
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Off the cuff I'd say it isn't legal.
    Damages the grass. Just like driving on the dunes. Big No No.
    West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

Sandy,
      I've done some looking and can't find anything.
      Suggest you send an email to TPWD and ask. Also ask them to send you a link if the answer is " No you can't"

Comment

I put in a call to somebody who will know - I'll let you know what I find out.
        Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Arent those posted as bird estuaries and no type of foot or vehicle traffic allowed?

Comment

Well, my question has been answered. Apparently, it's ok for them to do this here in Texas. Doesn't mean they should, or that it's right, but it's legal.
            From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Is that since it is state property.....and not privately owned ?

Comment

Originally posted by walkinwader View Post
                Exactly. The only place it's illegal in Texas are nature preserves or wildlife refuges.
                Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
                  Exactly. The only place it's illegal in Texas are nature preserves or wildlife refuges.
                  Work to have it so designated. Maybe the Galveston Bay Foundation could help, or maybe that's a bad idea and just leave it alone. The airboats aren't bothering very many people.
                  "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
                    Work to have it so designated. Maybe the Galveston Bay Foundation could help, or maybe that's a bad idea and just leave it alone. The airboats aren't bothering very many people.
                    X2
                    MANVEL MOB

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
                      I dont have an issue with them as long as they're operated responsibly.
                      Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Originally posted by walkinwader View Post
                        We had an airboat incident Sat. Morning. A boat launched, Then the airboat was next in line. I was 2 boats later in line and about to back up when the 1st boat had a guy come up with #6 treble hook buried in the top of his thumb. He said it was his fault, the airboat was blowing everything off his deck and he grabbed his rod to hold it down and hooked himself. I have been taught to be very respectful of others, Especially at boat ramps. I am sorry to offend, but I haven't seen a single airboat that has acted what I would call respectful.

Comment

The TPWD and GLO love airboats. They don't tear up the eel grass and leave prop scars. When they shot the Lower Laguna Madre 5 or so years ago for oil & gas seismics, it was 100% airboats, mostly from Louisiana. Gosh us locals hated them airboats, especially when they worked Sunday morning and set off some 8-pound charges (the usual is 5). Blew up a lot of fish and left floatlines and buoys all over the place - a bunch of us got fouled. Ruined the fishing for sure, cracked a few foundations and swimming pools. There were some pretty bad bar fights and one seismic "thumper" truck was set on fire.

But a few are OK as long as they stay 100 yards away. It'll be duck hunting season in a while and there's a couple charter boys who run 'em down here by SPI. I don't mind 'em too much if it's just one or two.

Comment

Fan boats are a necessary evil.

My sister-in-law is such a nasty housekeeper, that if the tidy bowl man ever paid them a visit, he'd surely need an airboat for their toilet.

Comment

Gotta Love Texas.

unfortunate for the gras lands tho !
                              FPIII

Salt Water Fishn Is My Heritage

Comment

Working...
                              X