McCullum Park 11-27-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McCullum Park 11-27-13

Made it for daybreak, went to climb down the concrete steps only to be greeted with 300 yards of mud before the waterline. After walkin forever and finding a custom color Fat Boy on the flat, I was pleased to see the water looked awesome. Ton of birds flying but none really hovering/diving. I had never been there so I just headed straight out and started plugging. I ended up accidentally getting my hands wet a few times, the pain set in and I bailed for the truck. I got one SOLID hit and that was it. I plan on going back before long, everything looked right, just couldn't hang with the cold hands....Anybody else fish there?

Never fished there, but I had the same problem with cold hands wading last weekend.
    I bought some Neoprene Fishing Gloves on Ebay. They arrived today and will try them this weekend.

Comment

Fished it once up teen years ago . There's some shell way out . Maybe within wading distance under those circumstances ! Live and learn . With the wind north 20 mph for several days the flats will be just mud . A good time to drive around and see what you normally don't see for future reference .
      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

People who know me think I'm a fishing fanatic, and it's true that I've braved Blueridge Mountain lakes bellybutton deep in a tube float before all the ice melts. But I draw the line at 42 degrees -- 10 above freezing -- at launch time, knowing the sun eventually will top the treetop peaks and finally warm me. That includes wind chill. When my fingers are shaking, teeth chattering and body shivering it's not all that much fun.

Comment

I waded yesterday morning for a couple of hours. It was warmer here in Galveston than where you were, but it was still in the mid-40's. What surprised me was that the water was already 46 degrees. Like many other fishermen, I can't fish wearing gloves, and my finger tips got numb, but I was dressed for the weather and it didn't bother me that much.
          You know it's too cold when you cast and your rod goes flying out of your hand!
          "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

47 degrees in holy Moses yesterday. I was layered up but the east wind was cutting pretty good. Forgot my tennis and had to wear my flip flops. I know, I know.

Comment

Heh, heh! it's hell gettin' old...Oh wait or is that cold? OK, both

Comment

Don't be laughing, Mr. Buddy. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
                  I waded yesterday morning for a couple of hours. It was warmer here in Galveston than where you were, but it was still in the mid-40's. What surprised me was that the water was already 46 degrees. Like many other fishermen, I can't fish wearing gloves, and my finger tips got numb, but I was dressed for the weather and it didn't bother me that much.
                  You know it's too cold when you cast and your rod goes flying out of your hand!
                  its really cold when your fingertips snap off and stay frozen to the rod handle as it majestically archs through the air and disappears into the water . Stunned surprise after a few seconds is followed by feverish scenarios as to how to retrieve the beloved rod and reel . As a healthcare professional it is my duty at this point to remind everyone of the need to treat the bleeding stubs on your hands . A quick immersion of said stubs will cauterize the vessels and stop the bleeding . Only after this is done should one resume the search for the sunken rod and reel .

THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
                  GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Originally posted by plugger View Post
                    its really cold when your fingertips snap off and stay frozen to the rod handle as it majestically archs through the air and disappears into the water . Stunned surprise after a few seconds is followed by feverish scenarios as to how to retrieve the beloved rod and reel . As a healthcare professional it is my duty at this point to remind everyone of the need to treat the bleeding stubs on your hands . A quick immersion of said stubs will cauterize the vessels and stop the bleeding . Only after this is done should one resume the search for the sunken rod and reel .

THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
                    epic!

Comment

Working...
                    X