Topwater action in Winter??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topwater action in Winter??

Maybe Its just me but Ive always kinda ran w/ the rule of thumb that when the water temps get down we quit throwing topwaters and focus on slowing everything down, bigger baits, and natural colors. The last couple trips Ive made the mullet really got nervous and started jumping, and I struggled w/ the thought of tying on my favorite one-knocker spook (Gold an Pink). If the bait is going off pretty good, do you guys still fish on top? In winter I guess Ive always just done what I have always done. Also In West Bay, the shoreline stretching from say, the next to last water tower on down to SLP, by the condos (Driving from Galveston) are their fish there in winter? I fish it in Summer and do pretty fair.

Yes. I like super spooks, one knockers, shedogs, and hedogs.
    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Sure , topwaters can be used especially in 55 degree water or higher . Especially in shallow water in colder water . If they just slàp at it , put on a corky and you'll get a hookup . It can be a fish finder if nothing else .
      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

in the summer its all I throw, ill keep that in mind thanks

Comment

work it slow, 2 or 3 twitches and pause a few seconds. like plugger said can be used as a fish finder if they arent taking it. caught my biggest trout in gorda on a top in the winter.
          the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Top-waters work year round, but trout are not normally over sand in the winter.

Comment

I fish top waters early and as long as the bait is on the surface.....if the mullet go down, I go down with them with a Corky (suspending). Fish the tops like Spook said (above)....I get most strikes when the lure is just sitting there after the twitching (in the winter). Don't be afraid of making a lot of noise with the topwater...it can bring a trout from a long distance to your bait. Cast the top to the same spot several times before moving on to another zone. My two cents.......
              Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
              "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

I love throwing top waters in winter, if its slow tie on a plastic on 16-20'' leader and see if you can get a double hook up. Sunny day with light wind or more wind over shell and mud or sand that is near mud.
                Good luck.

Comment

they dont stop hitting topwaters, people just stop throwing them...
                  Think like a fish no matter how weird it gets…

Comment

I caught them on tops the last few days. See the mullet flipping and start chunking em.they have been exploding on them
                    KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Working...
                    X