Boston Whaler??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston Whaler??

Would a whaler 15 or 17 montauk be too deep to get into greens and other lakes?

Depends on the tides....But Greens is typically about 2' average.
    sigpic
    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

HMMmmmm.

I have been shopping around for the right boat... I have a 23 Robalo cuddy that I am trying to sell because I do more bay fishing and havnt been able to get into the "good stuff." I am sick of drifting in the deeper water and want to get into the lakes. I really like the "flats" style boats but it may be TOO extreme of a specialty boat where it holds me back from "other" recreational kind of stuff. I dont want two boats so.. That is why I need the help. Thanks

Here's a question for everyone (if someone with a montauk can reply that would be even better)

Where can I NOT go with a Montauk

Comment

No. But a 15' is way too small and you will not be happy with it, especially when trying to cross an open bay-plus two people will even be tight in it. A 17' Whaler will get ya about anywhere, but again, it is pretty small and they porpoise and are not real dry (almost a trihull). Are you within a set budget?-new or used? Again, you ought to write down the "wants" and what price range and ask folks here-seems like you want a $40k rig (don't we all!), but then ask about a 15' whaler -would you really want a 15' boat in Galveston? I think you need to set your budget, look at new and used boats and if ya buy used, you need to plan on prolly $2-4k in expenses on it in next 1-2 years-lower unit, steering, power head, power pack, throttles-sumthins gonna break down-you know, the same stuff ya deal with on the Robalo-always sumthin acting up. Just trying to help ya think about what all you are facing-new boat, you got $1-2.5K in new electronics and trolling motor or power pole (or both), so whatever ya get, ya need to think about upcoming "needs" to get what ya must have. Used boat will need fix-its in first year, which is likely why people sell their boat-tired of it breaking down. I repowered my 23' Robalo-cost me $15k just to do that-did that in 2005 and have spent $7k since on transom, fuel lines, gas tank, tune-ups, lower unit changes, tires, etc. My point is to sit down and figure out what you exactly want and what you'll use it for. If solely fishing Greens, get a used jon boat and buy a new motor for it after first year or two of use. If planning on running from say Tiki/Jones to San Luis Pass or the Jetties, you want a 18-22' boat, plus think about who and how many folks go with ya. My neighbor takes his brand new 22' Pioneer with 150 Suzi 4 stroke into Greens-I can take my 23' Robalo in there also-just not on low tides. I think you would be best served looking at whole picture and major spots ya fish and consider that weather conditions change and look for an all around boat. Aqua Pimp has a 23' Kenner and he doesn't run that skinny, so why worry about 4" draft when ya are mostly in 2-4' water depths fishing. Just trying to help you think about needs versus wants and that you need to plan on upcoming major expenses with a used boat and think about what all you need to add to a new boat if that's what you want. Remember, boats are a hole in the water that you pour money into so you can have fun. If I had my do-over, I would get a 20' Flatscat or Shoalcat with a 150 Yammie, power pole and trolling motor, but that would be $35-40k, so I bought a new 20' Skeeter Baypro for $20k and added $400 in electronics and need a power pole-wouldn't mind a trolling motor, but the folks I know that have one have problems with them-either ratlles so much that screws come loose from being beat up on bow mount or seals go out and for $1200, that's a lot of money for sumthin that likely will be broken in 1-2 years, plus I'd only use it some times-like drifting a grass line or birds and is it really worth it to use maybe 8-10 times a year.
        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Get a GulfCoast or similar type Tunnel hull boat...
          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

whoa whoa whoa.... my budget is CHEEEEEAP like around 6500 (im only 25). That is how much my robalo cuddy is for sale . I should have prefaced; any boat I end up buying will be used. I was looking at old 17 Montauks and it struck my interest.

As far as "the places I normally fish".... I really havnt done much more than drifting around the bay, greens cut, reefs, anything that is basically in the open bay and is deeper than 2.5+ due to my restrictions. I would like to be able to go into lakes in West Bay without worrying about if the tide is high, low, rising, falling.

I grew up in San Diego and had a old 13 whaler with a 40hp yami that I used to take miles off the beach for surfing, fishing, diving and the ride wasnt THAT bad. I dont need a ride equal to a hot knife through butter ya know?

Once again though Robalo, you bring up some really great tips.

Comment

Just trying to hep ya Sfef84-my first boat was a POS baby crap gold trihull-it spent 1/2 time busted down and other half fishing! I been zactly where you are at, so I feel for ya. 17' Whaler will do most all areas-the Gulf Coast is based on the old Outrage hull. Keep looking-my buddy got a used 17' Montauk two years ago (side console though) with 70 merc for $4k-he don't like the side console. They are great boats. I lost my 86 17' CC Monark fiberglass in Ike-that had a modified V hull and I could run in 1' of water and get up in 1.6' of water-no tunnel or jack plate, just floored it after bumping up a little wake and a hard turn-had a 110 HP rude on it (rebuilt 2 times in 22 years) and I covered Galveston bay in that old boat. Just keep looking-now we know ya aint looking for a new boat, we'll keep our eyes out and post/pm ya if we see sumthin that may be of interest to ya.
              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Nice...

I appreciate the help.

Comment

i have owned a 17 ft montauk for 13 years and fished everywhere
                  from Venice La to Port Mansfield and out 30 n.m.
                  it is a great "all purpose boat" whether you are fishing 8" or 80'
                  i have done extensive work over the years my hull is a 1962 model
                  that should say alot...i had a 1985 Yamaha 90 on it which i just removed to repower ...stick with something you are confident to cross the bay with if it gets nasty!!
                  Captain Glenn Stevens
                  Coastal Guide Service
                  www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

I know where there might be a boat for sale that I have been back in Greens in quite a few times. If you add a jack plate to it you could run in Karankawa too and the price is right. PM me and I will let you know who to talk to.
                    sigpic
                    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

What about Carolina Skiffs J series?
                      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I have seen (never gone to look) those. What can you tell me about em. I am partial to whalers bc of their safety. Like the old commercial with the two guys sitting on opposite ends of their cut in half hull"

The J is pure flat bottom correct, no tunnel, nothin' correct?

Comment

Working...
                        X