Monster Trout Caught on Lake Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monster Trout Caught on Lake Superior

Never been ice fishing, but if that is what you catch I'll give it a try.

This is a big lake trout that was caught through some of Lake Superior's crystal clear ice. For more videos watch our channel at JigHeadsTV. For more infor...
    "It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

Looks like fun but I don't like snow or ice. I did when I was a younger man but I liked a lot of other things too.

Comment

In Wisconsin when I was growing up, we used to pull an ice fishing shanty (on skids, with a car) out to the middle of a frozen lake. We'd drill half a dozen holes and place flagged tip-up jigs on the holes.

We'd sit in the shanty, on the lake, with a woodburning stove in the shanty and go out and skim the ice forming atop the holes and wait for fish to bite. After a few hours, the adults were too drunk to check the holes (without slipping) and send us kids out to walk the holes.

The shanty would remain on the lake for about 3 months. Before spring we'd drive out onto the lake and retrieve the shanty before it fell in.

The local tavern on the lake would have a car plunge pool. They'd pull a wrecked car onto the ice (attached to a long chain) and sell "guess when it plunges" tickets. The closest guess to the time the car submerged completely, would win a portion of the pot.
      They'd post a 24 hour guard when the time got close. They'd positioned the car, where you could sit at the bar and watch it while drinking your Blatz boilermaker.
      At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

That's awesome ! Those guys were too funny , beside themselves with glee and awe . Monster fish ! Good for them , giggling like school girls . Be careful , don't loose that fish , want me to drill another hole , dude ? How you gonna get it out? HAR! Man , I was groaning about standing in 45 degree water .
        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

OLEANDER , thanks for the great story ! Very interesting and funny ! HAR! Bet taking , guards on watch , car sinking , , drinking and watching the show . Too drunk to check the lines , make the kids go ...oh , man , did mama know !? I would have been beaten with a frozen fish by my wife .
          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

What's a BLATZ BOILERMAKER ? BLATZ beer and whiskey depth charge ?

Comment

I had to watch it several times ... Their dialog between themselves ... Just jigging , then zing , zing , zing . Oh dude , I think it's a brown trout , no dude , it's a lake trout , are you sure ?

Comment

HUGE fish on a 2 foot long rod...WOW!!!
                Glad they let her go.

Comment

Yeah , that too . It always strikes me as odd seeing ice fishermen reeling what appears to be a small child's play rod and reel .

Comment

Pretty amazing!
                    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Same here, seen people pull monsters out w/ a flimsy what appears to be my 5yr old SpongeBob rod combo. LOL. But I guess since you are not casting what's the point of a long rod. Thanks for the replies guys!
                      Originally posted by plugger View Post
                      Yeah , that too . It always strikes me as odd seeing ice fishermen reeling what appears to be a small child's play rod and reel .
                      "It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

Comment

yeah , you're right about the rod and reel . Spongebob square pants . HAR ! Use to watch him with the kids , perfect . Pretty entertaining for a kid like me .

Comment

Yup. And the whiskey would have never made WOTM. Some old Germans would take a shot of brandy vs. whiskey.

Originally posted by plugger View Post
                          What's a BLATZ BOILERMAKER ? BLATZ beer and whiskey depth charge ?
                          At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Working...
                          X