Recreational Shrimping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recreational Shrimping

This is a touchy subject for some, and I'm not trying to offend anybody.

My Father in Law's Dad (wife's paternal grandfather) was a net builder and commercial rod and reel fisherman in Port Aransas back in the 40's-early 70's. As such, my Father in Law always had a try net/individual shrimp trawl net around the house. He took me once or twice before he passed back in '99, so I don't know much about patterning when and where to shrimp, but I did learn enough to be able to at least run the net.

I've had his old net in my garage for the past 15 years or so and instead of stepping over the doors all the time, I am thinking about hauling it down to our place at SLP and trying to pull the darn thing. I know I can't pull it in the pass itself, but when would be a good time to pull it out in the Gulf? I don't want to venture more than 4 or 5 miles out. I don't think I want to pull it in West Bay itself either, too many unkowns for me to try that, at least yet.

If you've done it before or have knowledge about when or where, I appreciate all that you're willing to share.

Have done it many times, but been more than a few years since. Be sure you check with TPWD for all the latest licenses, catch limits, etc. I know you need a sport shrimping license. Need to check strength of pull ropes and webbing to see if it is rotten or not before you dump it in the water. Good chance it could be rotten due to sitting up for so long. As far as where, look at google earth and just don't drag near any reefs or grass. Haven't seen many shrimpers in West Bay in a long time... Other than that, any time is good, seems like fall is better because they come out of the marsh then...don't know about how much debris is left over from Ike, so take your chances.

Comment

Yup, got the tag and the annual to tell me the seasons...I know I see the commercial boats close to shore in the summer, just wondering if it was worth a try this time of year or not.

Looks like I won't know till I try.

Comment

Season is a bit different each year but the beach doesn't generally open till July 15.
        Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Working...
        X