Blockade Runner - Private William Young

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blockade Runner - Private William Young

Ya'll have heard of the Blockade Runners if you've been reading through the board and especially Coachlaw's reports. I'd stumbled (literally) across one of the original Civil War era blockade runner members and thought to share with ya'll.

Julie (my better half) enjoys walking through cemeteries and reading the headstones.
    We'd run across this one in the cemetery behind the seawall Kroger.

Young served aboard the Denbigh, a bloackade runner based in Galveston.

The link points to Youngs short bio and also leads to other informationa about a Blockade Runner boat (the Denbigh) and some general historical info.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0075.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	575288
    Last edited by Ibtsoom; April 9, 2014, 12:20 PM. Reason: spelling
    At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Cool! Thank Julie for the info!

Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life.
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Pardon my misspeplllings of blockade. It's too late to edit the original post.
      At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Thats cool...
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Oleander Kayaker View Post
          Pardon my misspeplllings of blockade. It's too late to edit the original post.
          Fixed it - and thanks for the post!
          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Purdy neat! I dint know they had some interned behind Kroger.
            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

We'd also taken the Galveston church tour about two months ago.

One of the churchmen mentioned that nearly the entire population that emigrated and settled in Galveston from the earliest days, is still here.

They're in the cemeteries. Oldest grave in the Broadway cemetery is dated 1839.

Comment

Wow, great website! I really enjoyed that. Bookmarked!

My pirogue is named "Denbigh" and my kayak was recently Christened the "Rob Roy". Both are names of blockade runners.

If you come to the crawfish boil/tourney weigh in this weekend, you'll get to hear IBTSOOM's song about the blockade runner "Wren". It's pretty stirring if you've got any Southern blood in you. And he wrote it while waiting for an oil change!
                  From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Pretty cool ... Thanks for sharing .
                    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Read my signature , my great grandfather was in Company L , 1st Texas Infantry .
                      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Very cool indeed! I've seen a ghost at BR before...maybe it was Young!

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk
                        Don't be a Nancy!
                        If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

WOW. Great report. Lord Bless.
                          robert
                          And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

Working...
                          X