468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to West Bay & Greens Lake - Spots/Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to West Bay & Greens Lake - Spots/Advice?

Hey All - new to West End Anglers and fishing West Bay.

Just purchased a 2006 Hewes Tailfisher and have been exploring Greens Lake without much luck. Skunked this past weekend and we fished a lot of spots, even threw out the drift sock and drift the whole lake with bottom and popping cork rigs, biated up with live shrimp.

Was wondering if ya'll had any advice on fishing West End as I'd really like to start seeing some results and want to chase the reds in the flats!

Thanks,

-Clay

This past weekend was not an easy weekend for fishing. If you're looking for reds you're in the right spot - just keep at it. It'll get better when the weather lines out.
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

My 2 cents would be (after the effects of our current cold front recede) concentrate on South shore line coves from Dana and to the SW of that, including Caranchua, Jumbile & Snake Island, and as time progresses (into and through May) work the flats further to the SW of said coves all the way to the Rooster Collins Flats Area, as well as behind San Luis Pass itself. That's what I would do if I had a boat.

Comment

Thanks - I haven't hit the south side yet, any good recommendations for a launch ramp on the south side? I'll be out there next weekend (4/26-27) working my way from Dana SW to the pass. Probably going to fish live bait unless we get up on a school, then getting the fly rod out!

Comment

There's a nice ramp at Waterman's in Pirates.

Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life.
          "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

We didn't do to good in Greens sunday either. Patterns are behind schedule due to the winter we had. It will get better though. Like mentioned try the coves. Welcome to the site.
            Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

If you find some fish it's mandatory as per club rules that you tell us exactly where you caught them . He -he , I don't think I'm going to get away with this . Stay with it , you'll catch some fish .
              GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Greens was tough this weekend for me too I kept getting into back lakes on plane and they were like 6" deep all the way through so I had to find room to turn around on plane haha! Sure were a bunch of reds back there I just couldn't come off plane to fish em!
                Tight Lines

Comment

Originally posted by Mini-x Fan View Post
                  Greens was tough this weekend for me too I kept getting into back lakes on plane and they were like 6" deep all the way through so I had to find room to turn around on plane haha! Sure were a bunch of reds back there I just couldn't come off plane to fish em!
                  It's worth the push..... Lol
                  Karma's a beach.

Comment

Haha we'd found reds earlier but couldn't buy a bite... I wasn't gonna risk the same story with a 400 yd push! Lol
                    Tight Lines

Comment

I've been catching some flounder around the ends of canals I could find in west bay lately and a few reds in the grass on the sw coves

Comment

....when the water comes back in the north side of Greens back by the old fence line is a good spot to drop your trolling motor and bomb the shorelines. That cut on the lower west side isn't bad either on an incoming tide.

Comment

These guys are right. The south end of the bay is a much better start. As you fish west bay more often you will begin to see a pattern emerge as far as the back lakes go like greens. Greens is an excellent area but you have to catch it on an out going tide and work your way out of it from the furthest point back. Be wary of the shallow reefs in west bay, I've been fishing it for some 30 years and it can be treacherous at times.

Comment

Working...
                          X