Old Guys Surf Reunion Today @ Surfside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Guys Surf Reunion Today @ Surfside

Yes sir, the 45-50 year reunion of guys that surfed Surfside in the 60's is today. We had a small group of 60 last night for a private dinner at some joint on the beach. It was a hoot although too dang loud…bunch of old hard of hearing folks! There's a paddle out at 10:00 this morning, and a ceremony and benediction for all our brothers and sisters that have past. The party/reunion starts at noon at Stahlman Park and the public is invited.
    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

bunch of old burned out, hippie, surfing dudes from the 60's? did the smoke get to you after riding down there with h.maier and termo?

Comment

Sweet! Lmao. Was Bingo and Johnny Cosby attending, Kenny? I see J.T.'s back from Vegas.

Comment

We took the Cheechmobile!
        Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
        "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

Originally posted by JT View Post
          bunch of old burned out, hippie, surfing dudes from the 60's? did the smoke get to you after riding down there with h.maier and termo?
          Loma!!
          MANVEL MOB

Comment

Dang , 60 doesn't sound like a small group . Y'all must have built a strong bond back then to have a gathering now . The joint was wheelchair accessible I take it .
            GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

[QUOTE;301292]We took the Cheechmobile! [/QUOTE]
              Lol. That'll never happen.

Comment

There were over 500 peopleshow up.
                It was great, and a lot of fun. I tried my best to get the granny wet T- shirt contest going too.
                I did talk to Joe Doggett for a while. Gene Bagley my old high school bud came from Costa Rica.
                "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Glad to hear you old fogies got to meet up again. Bet there were a lot of 9/10 foot nose riders (boards) there. That's what I had back in '68. Made a trip to Mazatlan with some friends in a caravan of old cars and long boards back then and those long boards weren't LONG ENOUGH for the 15-20' breakers! Guys from California on their new fangled shorties were laughing us out of the water.
                  Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
                  "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

Used to fish the pass before school when they were building the bridge over to the island. Surfed in the evenings lots of times and rode broncs in Alvin at the rodeo grounds at night. Only been on 1 bull in my lifetime and that was after lots of smoke and cheery slow gin on ice. The hide goes places that don't make sense. Took 3 spins and it was over.
                    Yeah, I loved the sixties and the fishing back then was great too. Only custom rod I ever had made ended up in 2 pieces when I slammed the back door on it on a slanted 6 dodge dart that was actually fairly new that a wealthy friend had. I was running from a bad electrical storm at the Boilers along the beach. Sometimes we would ride horses on the beach too. 1st time I was arrested was on splash day after skipping school and drinking anything and everything from kerosene to Bay Rum and that was the 1st time being cuffed and told to take off my shirt and sit in a roped off area on the beach for 4hrs until straight time came back.
                    Galveston police took no pity and us and after sitting there in the sun that long took all the spirit outa everyone.
                    We all loved Splash Day!!
                    Yep, Kenny, those were great times and good fun with good people. Still remember too, BACKLASHES. Guess that's why I still use reels similar to the Mitchell 300.
                    "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Comment

My aunt was miss splash day,50s or 60s I heard she was real pretty.

Comment

Working...
                      X