What does a slick look like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does a slick look like?

New to bay fishing and I think I've seen slicks on the water but I'm not sure. Can anyone help with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Ghandi

Comment

That is a large slick, probably wind spread. You want to find one about the size of a garbage can lid, pay attention to the wind and water flow. As the feeding fish move on, a new slick will pop up. Stay on the new ones.

Comment

Thanks for the advice! We have all the necessary gear even a brand new boat, just having trouble figuring out how to find fish!

Comment

Throw some fritos in the water and thats what it looks like
          Karma's a beach.

Comment

Here ya go.
            Attached Files
            Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

I've definitely seen some spots like that, Ill have to stop and fish them next time!

Comment

I've also read that there will be a sweet or melon type smell around, is that true?

Comment

Yea you will smell it and fish up wind/ current of the slick. The bigger the slick, the farther you should go up wind. If you want to get an idea of the smell, go down wind of a freshly baited crab trap that is forming a slick and you will get the idea of what one smells like!
                  Tight Lines

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck miles View Post
                    I've also read that there will be a sweet or melon type smell around, is that true?
                    YES!!! Fish behind the slick. The slick moves and grows with the wind and current. The fish that were feeding are behind the slick.Watch for new slicks popping up behind it and that's where they are. Check out troutsupport dvds and on the limits dvd teaches and shows how to find and fish slicks. www.troutsupport.com.
                    Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Awesome Ill keep an open eye and nose next time!

Comment

Yeah , the TROUTSUPPORT DVD. 'S are worth getting . Also the book at Academy by Pat MURREY NO NONSENSE GUIDE TO COASTAL FISHING . A good primer .
                        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Originally posted by Xpress89 View Post
                          Throw some fritos in the water and thats what it looks like
                          DUDE!
                          Last edited by dbarham; April 28, 2014, 09:35 PM.
                          MANVEL MOB

Comment

Trophytroutman has you covered. That's a beautiful slick.
                            You might also want to check out the trout support videos. They're a great way to shorten the learning curve.

Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life.
                            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Drifting slicks can pay off well. At times you can smell them before you see them. As mentioned you want to circle upwind of them. They will pop up the size of a hula hoop and spread according to wind speed and current. One fish makes a slick, so when you see them popping up around an area you're generally on a good school. Trout will slick, but so will gaff top and porpoise. I always carry a good pair of binoculars on my boat to scout for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X