New Chocolate Bayou Regulations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Chocolate Bayou Regulations?

I found this on another site and thought I'd share to hear opinions.

Boaters Urged To ‘Lift, Drift, Pole or Troll’ as New High Fish Population
    Regulation Takes Effect

LIVERPOOL, Texas — The popular Chocolate
    Bayou area receives an extra measure of protection beginning May 1. On that
    date, a new regulation takes effect, prohibiting the use of outboards within the
    Chocolate Bayou upstream of FM2004 boundaries (Upper Chocolate
    Bayou).

The often overlooked, highly productive body of water in the
    Chocolate Bay / West Galveston Bay System boasts the state’s highly evolved marine
    flowering plants that are one source of the area’s bounty of red drum and
    spotted seatrout.

Chocolate Bay, appropriately enough, often leads the
    state in the catch rate of red drum in Texas Parks and Wildlife Department gill
    net sampling.
    Anglers’ success here has led to a surge in the area’s
    popularity, and the fragile destruction of top feeding red drum and spotted
    seatrout — propellers from passing boats have been long time fish population
    killing machines — are showing the effects.

“This area receives the
    second highest pressure along the Texas coast for private boat anglers,” said
    TPWD Coastal Fisheries Biologist Faye Berens. “Visitors outnumber locals two to
    one.”

In a recent study, more than half of randomly selected areas in the
    bay showed evidence of propeller killings. The propellers kill the thick
    abundance of fish in the area, fragment habitat, channel tidal movement and
    sometimes take years for the high fish population to recover.

“This place
    has long been a well-kept secret. Chocolate Bayou has more fish, per capita,
    than any other marine ecosystem in the state. It provides a safe habitat, a
    spawning area, and endless food from plant life and baitfish alike.” said Dennis
    Pridgen, another Coastal Fisheries biologist. “For them it’s the nursery, the
    roof over their heads and the grocery store all rolled into one.”

When
    the TPW Commission voted on the new rule in November 2013, several options were
    on the table. One was to shut down the entire Upper Chocolate Bayou area and
    restrict its use as a wildlife sanctuary, not allowing recreational fishing or
    outboard motors of any type.

Instead, commissioners chose the least
    restrictive option, one that focused on changing boater behavior and creating a
    new appreciation for the value of high fish populations. Only small portions of
    the UCB will be closed completely to outboard motors.

“What we’re trying
    to do is really get boaters to think about what they’re doing out in the water,”
    Berens said. “The responsibility is on the boater to know the area he’s fishing
    in, and also protect and preserve some of the habitat that supports the fish
    that he’s fishing for.”

To that end, TPWD has launched a public education
    and outreach program targeting boaters in the local area as well as around the
    state. At boat ramps in the nearby bayous of Hall’s, Bastrop, and Green’s, signs
    will make anglers aware of the new regulation and also show the boundaries of
    the state scientific area.

Boundary signs will mark the area in which the
    regulation applies, and TPWD employees will install signs marking preferred
    access lanes (PALs) to help guide boaters safely through sensitive portions of
    the bayous. Biologists developed the PALs based on the input of local boaters
    and commonly prevailing winds and tides in the area.

TPWD’s West
    Galveston Bay Ecosystem Leader Karen Meador stressed that the lanes are
    experimental.

“We’re going to install these where we can, and where we
    think they will do the most good,” she said. “If we find that they are not
    useful, or if the lanes need to be marked in different areas, we can move
    them.”

Proponents of the new regulation are urging boaters who use the
    UCB area to follow these rules of thumb:
    • Even though boater access is
    allowed throughout the UCB, boaters can avoid damaging high fish populations by
    simply avoiding “fish-dense” areas.
    • If the vessel's wake is bloody, the
    propeller may be cutting into the thick schools of fish and causing damage. It
    is the boater's responsibility to know the depth of the water they are running
    in and to avoid areas too “fish-dense” for their vessel.
    • When these thick
    fish populations are encountered, it is suggested that boat operators LIFT their
    motors, DRIFT, POLE or TROLL.

In fact, “lift, drift, pole or troll” has
    become something of a mantra in bay areas state wide— one that local biologists
    hope more boaters will adopt.
    “We have an amazing natural resource here,”
    said Larry McKinney, Ph.D., director of TPWD’s coastal fisheries division. “We
    want the people of Texas to be able to continue to enjoy it and to take
    advantage of the wonderful fishing opportunities Chocolate Bayou
    offers.”

McKinney said that Census data suggest population — and fishing
    pressure — along the coast is likely to double in the next 20 years.
    “We have
    to take steps now to ensure our children and grandchildren will be able to enjoy
    the same angling opportunities we take for granted today,” he
    said.

The new law states
    that:

“Within the Upper Chocolate Bay State Scientific Area, no person
    shall cause or allow any game fish to be scarred, injured or killed by a
    submerged propeller, except as may be permitted by a coastal lease issued by the
    Texas General Land Office or otherwise permitted under state law.

“It is
    not a violation to: anchor a vessel within the Redfish Bay State Scientific
    Area; or use electric trolling motors within the Upper Chocolate Bayou State
    Scientific Area.”

The law further states that:
    “No person may move,
    remove, deface, alter, or destroy any sign, depth marker or other informational
    signage placed by the department to delineate boundaries of the Upper Chocolate
    Bayou State Scientific Area or to designate specific zones within the
    area.”

Violators of the law can be charged with a Class “C” Misdemeanor,
    which can result in a fine of up to $500.
    ———
    On the Net:

This information is incorrect. Texas Parks and Wildlife Department has not imposed any regulations pertaining to the use of outboards in Chocolate Bayou. The information contained in this posting appears to have been modified from press releases from several years ago when Redfish Bay (near Rockport) was designated a State Scientific Area and the recent legislation (2013) that made the protection of seagrass a state-wide regulation. Several of the people quoted in the post (e.g. Karen Meador and Dr. Larry McKinney) retired from TPWD several years ago. Additionally, Karen was the Aransas Bay Ecosystem Leader, not the Galveston Bay Ecosystem Leader, and Faye Berens is the Upper Laguna Madre Ecosystem Leader.

Lance Robinson
    TPWD Coastal Fisheries
    Dickinson Marine Laboratory

Comment

Thanks Lance-I didn't believe it as true because there was no notice/comment period as usually prescribed by TPWD (of course, that doesn't mean Obama couldn't use "his pen" and outlaw all boats/fishing-"U.S. Constitution, WTH is that said Obama").
      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Thanks for the info Lance!
        Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Yet still, there are so few fish in Chocolate, and none N of 2004 bridge, Y'all might as well go to East or Trinity Bays. I'll stay around and monitor the situation.

Comment

Tx's Mr Robinson!!, glad I called you just to check!! Preciate you also coming to the forum to clear it up for us all!!
            Chocolate is a goody and pray it stays that way!
            "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Comment

....I had a feeling it was bogus when I read it! No fish in Chocolate anyway!!

Comment

Prolly those wade, paddle and pole Jackwads.
                "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Greenie for you Lance. Thank You!!

Comment

So I guess launch at the bridge and drift to my camp???? blalalalallala aahahahah haahahahha I dont post often, but really???? Ok" NFIC. Remember that.

Comment

And I caught a marlin there also. Give me a break.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
                      KEEP IT WET..

Comment

NFIC like ronnie said
                        MANVEL MOB

Comment

Blackhawk is a joke
                          Karma's a beach.

Comment

"They will have to pull my throttle from my cold dead hands!"

Comment

Lance Robinson with TPWD is a good guy. I've called him several times on some of the science of the creel surveys and he has been nothing but helpful. Thanks Lance for coming on FWE and clearing up the issue with Chocolate.

Everybody knows that most of the limits caught in the Galveston Bay complex come from Chocolate Bay and Bayou. We wouldn't want anyone to misunderstand its status as the regions most prolific fishery. I'm surprised anybody fishes anywhere else there are so many quality fish in Chocolate.

JYC
                              "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Working...
                              X