F t u rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F t u rods

I've been looking at the FTU bay runner series in a 7'6 and a croaker runner in a 8'0 but i can find much about them online as far as reviews go. Does anyone here know anything about them?

I mostly fish east bay around the smith point area mainly targeting reds and a few specks
    Last edited by axe; May 18, 2014, 11:54 AM.
    Tight Lines and Calm Seas and remember to enjoy life with friends

Axe, you'll get all kinds of different answers to this question.

It's like picking out a pair of running shoes. Can't nobay tell you how a pair shoes feel on your feet.

If the rod feels good in your hand, fits the criteria of what your fishing for and most importantly, falls within your budget......go for it.

PS..stay away from Chinese factory assembled rods.

Do you throw baitcast or spinner?

Comment

Baitcast... ambassador 5000 on up to 6600 in the bays and PENNS in the surf.

My problem is I live about 3 hours north of Houston and won't get a chance to go by there store before I go down for my next fishing trip so I was thinking about ordering them online..... I don't really need a new rod but I have the itch for one

Most of my fishing is done off a little pier in smith point in knee to waist deep water mostly catching reds.... any input would be helpful.....

My wading set up is a American Rodsmith Croaker Smoker with a 5600 Rocket and I love it! but American rodsmith doesn't make them anymore

Most of my bay set ups for the pier are ambassador reels and on 7' or 7'6" Ugly Stik rods

Comment

Yeah , it's preference . But , dang , son , 7-8 foot rods ! I prefer 6'5" or 6'7" rods . Are those reels kinda big ? I'm not familiar with them so I don't know . Shorter rods and small light reels are for me the way to go for artificials . But , hey , if they work for you go for it .
        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

I would suggest HOOKSPIT rods . Excellent rods at low prices .. They have a 7 foot rod . I can't say enough good things about their store and rods . Shop there online but stop by the store and you will see what I mean .
          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Originally posted by plugger View Post
            Yeah , it's preference . But , dang , son , 7-8 foot rods ! I prefer 6'5" or 6'7" rods . Are those reels kinda big ? I'm not familiar with them so I don't know . Shorter rods and small light reels are for me the way to go for artificials . But , hey , if they work for you go for it .
            X2!! 6'5"and 6'6" for me with chronarch and curados for me but if you prefer the longer rods and they work for you then go for what you feel confident in. Good luck.
            Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

They are traditional round style bait-caster reels that depending on its exact model number will hold 90 - 160 yds of 20lbs mono... I grew up fishing with longer rods and love them but I mostly use live bait.... My Croaker Smoker is 8 ft and it's amazing how well it will work a top waters or a popping cork for that matter

Comment

Originally posted by plugger View Post
                X2 on this.. granted you have pretty big / older less precise reels. certainly can throw croaker and live bait with 6'9 and 7. 7' is a good length for throwing live croaker without weight...better presentation as well. Are you throwing it with a bit of weight in both the surf and bay? If that's the case you will need to go up in power to med heavy for chunking a rig light that.

I have really enjoyed my TiteLine FishingRods (TiteLineFishingRods.com) the webpage gives the availability and I think there are some shops that carry them in east texas around some of the lakes. Were created by the same people that started all star years ago
                TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

I use about an ounce of weight in the bay... My reels are for the most part only a few yrs old I lost most of my stuff in Ike but I do truly prefer the older more traditional style reels I guess I'm just a little old school like that... The rods I have now range from ML to MH just depends on what size reel I'm putting on it... I've never heard on tight lines rods but I don't really fish fresh water maybe I can find a shop up here that carries them and give them a look

Comment

well I ordered a 7'6 bay runner and got it in a I haven't used it yet but it feels pretty nice
                    Last edited by axe; May 24, 2014, 11:39 AM.

Comment

I started with ambassador 5500C3. Great reels, but I had to clean them every 2 times that I went. I wade fish with artificial. I bought a Diawa coastal, and clean them once or twice a year. Still going strong. I also use a 6' 6" or a 7' rod. Lord Bless.
                      robert
                      And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

I give mine a good washing when I'm done with with them let them dry and then a couple drops of oil. The only thing I have ever had any problems with is the level wind stacking to one side but that's an easy fix. They are simple and timeless reels. I truly think that for them money they can't be beat. Plus you would be surprised at the size fish they can handle I've gone offshore a couple times with a 6500

Comment

Very true. I've caught 35 to 40lb carp with them. They don't give out and very easy to clean. Lord Bless.
                          robert
                          And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

Never caught a carp that big but did manage a 44 inch red last summer on a 5500 and all the way up to a 35 inch red on my 5600 while wading, a couple years ago even managed to catch a 5 1/2 foot black tip on a 6500

Comment

I know this is an older thread but I have been fishing with the FTU bay runner 7'6 rod for about a year now liked it so much I bought a second one... For a $50 rod I cant believe how great they are. I know they are more than capable of 35 inch reds and 37 inch black tips. I will be purchasing more in the future as needed

Comment

Working...
                              X