First Weekend at Jamaica Beach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Weekend at Jamaica Beach

Fairly new to Jamaica Beach and have posted a few times on this site. Love the friendly banter from some of the more "seasoned" vets on the boards. I visit the site frequently.

I bought my first boat this past Friday and fished hard Friday eve, Saturday morning, Sunday morning, and Monday morning. Stayed pretty close to JB drifting Carancahua Reef, Carancahua Cove and Shell Island until I learn more about the bay. I gotta say, it was tough going this weekend with the wind and crowds but fun all the same. Excited to learn more about the area.

Quick question...I hear people say West Bay isn't as good as East/Trinity...is that because of the Trinity runoff or just people not knowing where to go in West Bay?
    Last edited by FlyPelican; May 27, 2014, 03:50 PM. Reason: removing picture

People dont know where to go...
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Baby Tran Cat View Post
      People dont know where to go...
      Yep.
      Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

I have always caught fish in West Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Look at the name of this site: says it all.

Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life.
          "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Its all about matching conditions to locations in any bay system

Comment

West bay is not as good as East and Trinity, at least not the last five years or so. There are maybe two reasons. First, it gets too much pressure and second, weather patterns have changed. Trinity, upper Galveston and parts of East no longer gets almost completely fresh from late summer, early fall floods, moving fish into West bay.
              "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

NFIWB!!

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
                  Trinity, upper Galveston and parts of East no longer gets almost completely fresh from late summer, early fall floods, moving fish into West bay.
                  Think the recent rains will change that this year? If it does, with the late spring time patterns holding, i wouldn't be surprised if a beast came out of your favorite bay. Better than the 9.4 leading the upper coast division right now.
                  "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

Originally posted by GHSmacker View Post
                    Think the recent rains will change that this year? If it does, with the late spring time patterns holding, i wouldn't be surprised if a beast came out of your favorite bay. Better than the 9.4 leading the upper coast division right now.
                    It may move some fish South, we'll see, but the fish have been up in Trinity now for years. Most guides I know are either fishing East bay or the jetties.
                    I still catch some good fish, but it just hasn't been right for a while, and this long, slow warm up sure hasn't helped.
                    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

It's purely speculation at this point, guess we'll know before the full moon of June. I think with winter not wanting to give up the ghost this year, many of the females probably are holding eggs for longer. Catching loads of males right now in places that normally have big fish(females) this time of year, with the number of females we've cleaned at the tables still holding eggs, and the amount of freshwater about to come down the rivers and dump into Trinity, etc...could set the stage for a stellar late spring/early summer.

I know where i'm going to be to find out.
                      "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

Working...
                      X